Anyone been assaulted at work?

Doug Tait

2 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

I've had a lot of abuse from the general public over recent weeks while doing traffic management for roadside work, several threats of violence, a couple of people even got out their vehicle to "do me in", all in the name of being delayed for a few minutes by a traffic light.

Today we were working over a busy junction so 4 way lights operating, unfortunately someone posted on Facebook last week the lights are broken which has led to a substantial amount of drivers ignoring red lights, it was mayhem. When this happens I'll stop them and explain what's happening and how it is for their and our safety. A guy in a Navara took exception to being delayed and when I tried the polite explanation he totally lost it, came out his window punching me before trying to drag me by the collar alongside his truck! I dissuaded him at that point by gently squeezing his windpipe until he let go, then a lady got out her car filming him and asked if I wanted the police which calmed him down and he apologised.

I know as a driver myself how frustrating it is to be delayed but what gets in to people to behave like this over a couple of minutes at a traffic light?

Anyone else been assaulted at work?

Had several verbal exchanges that have come close but nothing that bad. Main thing is not to dwell on it - the world is full of idiots - bin the twat from the memory and move on.

Edited by Puffingbilly413
  • Like 8

Never been assaulted but did once have a mental case of an agri contractor smash through the tm, taking a few cones with him and pull right up to the mewp until his front weight block collided with the side of my machine. I was at about 10m at the time and there was also a climber in the next tree setting lines. 

I was unable to turn the mewp as he had nudged right into it to the point I felt the mewp move. He started screaming and shouting at one of the lads on the ground. In fairness our guy remained calm and talked Mr agri man down a fair bit while I called the heat. 

Next thing yer man just storms off leaving the tractor against the mewp and fully blocking the single lane road. 

The local cop turns up half an hour later, recognises the tractor and calls to the man's house a few hundred meters down the road, gets the keys, moves the tractor and muck spreader and goes back to have a chat with the guy, turns out he regularly flies off the handle and is well known in the area for such behaviour. 

Statements were taken but neither I nor the lady who was on the lollipop he refused to stop at were bothered to press charges. I'd dropped a good few heavy chunks into the muck spreader while waiting for the cops so I was satisfied that "karma" would see that the rest of his day was spent waist deep in chicken shit and broken chains.

Had a few shouters and general displays of impatience apart from that but he was the only one to actually do something to endanger anybody.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Had several verbal exchanges that have come close but nothing that bad. Main thing is not to dwell on it - the world is full of idiots - bin the twat from the memory and move on.

Thanks, it's not something I'll dwell on though. Worse things happen at sea as they say.

I used to box, a little martial arts and plenty of rugby so I'm no stranger to a bit of rough and tumble. Just didn't expect to deal with any more than threats and name calling at work really.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Thanks, it's not something I'll dwell on though. Worse things happen at sea as they say.

Once said that to a young Scot girl I was having a bit of fun with, then remembered her dad died in the alpha piper disaster…still cringe to this day when I hear that phrase!

glad you didn’t come off worse anyhow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Once said that to a young Scot girl I was having a bit of fun with, then remembered her dad died in the alpha piper disaster…still cringe to this day when I hear that phrase!

glad you didn’t come off worse anyhow 

Granted that sounds awkward.

I once said it to a gent I cut hedges for, he laughed uproariously before inviting me up to the "birds nest" attic above the garage.

It was like a Naval museum and I got a tour from Vice Admiral (ret.) Sir blah-blah with letters. Think he was the first man to lead a British fleet through all the great lakes. Interesting man.

• Like 5