How to find lost stuff . . .

difflock

I was ranting at my kids for constantly misplacing shoes, school bags, water bottles etc.

’WHY CAN’T YOU LOOK AFTER YOUR STUFF?

IT’S NOT DIFFICULT.

I ALWAYS KNOW WHERE MY STUFF IS!’

The little twin gave me an evil glare then started walking about with her arms in front of her like a blind man and squinting, saying in a speech-impaired kind of voice -

‘HAS ANYONE SEEN MY GLASSES?’

Bang to rights.

@doobin, do tiles work on glasses?

Asking for a hypocrite friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I was ranting at my kids for constantly misplacing shoes, school bags, water bottles etc.

’WHY CAN’T YOU LOOK AFTER YOUR STUFF?

IT’S NOT DIFFICULT.

I ALWAYS KNOW WHERE MY STUFF IS!’

The little twin gave me an evil glare then started walking about with her arms in front of her like a blind man and squinting, saying in a speech-impaired kind of voice -

‘HAS ANYONE SEEN MY GLASSES?’

Bang to rights.

@doobin, do tiles work on glasses?

Asking for a hypocrite friend.

Go to Poundland, purchase 10 pairs and put one pair in the car, kitchen, sitting room, workshop, favourite jacket, holiday suitcase and spread the others in your other places....that way, you will only be a short distance from them always!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 08:32, difflock said:

Like I lost my cherished Vertinox Alox Pioneer penkinife about a month ago.

Looked everywhere, no luck.

Browsed internet for a replacement, ideally with a high carbon blade and bottle opener( very important that!) but non locking for UK EDC knife law compliance. Like I might treat myself to sommat knife for Xmas.

Still kept looking nonethless.

No luck, so I took an old steel (German Panther brand perhaps?)lockblade out to the shed, clipped the point to bring it under 3" and filed off the locking gab.

Brought it into the house, a bit disgruntled that stupid UK law made me do such shit to a perfectly good knife, and set it down on the table inside the back door, while I went into the utility room to wash my hands.

As I came out of the utility I idly looked at the cardboard box that contains hats and gloves and other shit, sitting on the back corner of the table, looked in and INSTANTLY saw my "lost" penknife looking back at me.

GERRR!

P.S.

The wife also left the immersion on for a solid 3 months, as we found out when we recieved the bill for the quarter!

The switch was well hidden behind the foodmixer and breadmaker in "her" corner that I dare not disturb.

So

Whats the 3rd misfortune or calamity to be then!

Sometimes when things are 'lost', they're not lost, you're just looking too hard for them. It makes no sense but seems to hold true.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2022 at 18:53, spudulike said:

Go to Poundland, purchase 10 pairs and put one pair in the car, kitchen, sitting room, workshop, favourite jacket, holiday suitcase and spread the others in your other places....that way, you will only be a short distance from them always!

Eventually the bloody things all end up in one place, - they're social beings, and that one place is exactly the place where you aren't at that point in time. 

🤬

Oddly, but I suspect, not uniquely, I find that I can sometimes backtrack mentally to what I was doing or where I was the last time I remember having had the "lost" item, and therefore find it.

But on the more frequent occasions where this technique does not work and I then purely accidently find the "lost" item, I always get stunning crystal clear flashback memory of exactly what I was doing with it and why I set it just there. So wtf can I not experience this crystal clear flashback memory to help me find the bloody thing.

The human brain sure is a strange animal.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 5