Why are young’ish people leaving the job market?

eggsarascal

Don't know who's going to do the jobs. Young folk don't want to graft now at all... want an easy life and a wage for **************** all.... 

Would I want to leave trees at 50 ? Course I would. I'd like to leave before then too..... 

Have you looked at the extortionate tax rate between 100-125k ? 60% this Is where maybe some of the 50's people are backing away from work. I've even read some folk not wanting promotions etc.... 

Capital gains tax allowance being reduced 

Personal allowance froze. 

Country's ****************ed and no wonder folk don't want to pay tax to be frittered away when they're in their 50's.... 

Also 35 years stamp and you've got your state pension.... you don't get extra for extra years work.

Folk die to young. Why education 15-20 years work 40 then hopefully 15-20 years retired before your in your box

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, swinny said:

Don't know who's going to do the jobs. Young folk don't want to graft now at all... want an easy life and a wage for **************** all.... 

Would I want to leave trees at 50 ? Course I would. I'd like to leave before then too..... 

Have you looked at the extortionate tax rate between 100-125k ? 60% this Is where maybe some of the 50's people are backing away from work. I've even read some folk not wanting promotions etc.... 

Capital gains tax allowance being reduced 

Personal allowance froze. 

Country's ****************ed and no wonder folk don't want to pay tax to be frittered away when they're in their 50's.... 

Also 35 years stamp and you've got your state pension.... you don't get extra for extra years work.

Folk die to young. Why education 15-20 years work 40 then hopefully 15-20 years retired before your in your box

Why would young folk slog their guys out for a £250k property that a generation ago was bought for £20k? Inflation does not remotely account for the disparity. 

The latest budget is an eye opener for me. The U.K. will want £15k over what I already pay in Norway. I have two options; stay out of the U.K. for more than 90 days or reduce my working time so I stay under the £125k. The easiest solution is to work less and spend more time with the family. Get my earning down to £100k and I don’t pay the U.K. a penny. Anecdotally I know many who are planning on cutting their hours to get under the £100k threshold and be Scot free. HMRC shooting themselves  in the foot to appease the idiot masses. The proposal to raise the 45p threshold to £150k had legs. I’d still be paying in £5-8000 a year if that was the case. Now I plan on paying in nothing. 

Such is the politics of greed and envy.

I have not seen any lifetime manual worker that I know retire in their 50s. Maybe gradually reduce days as they approach retirement. Generally the biggest pension earners are still Public servants, government department, teachers, NHS etc, they have a good enough pension to retire early especially if a couple and both public workers have it good with a double pension? These public workers fail to mention they’re pension when threatening strike action when asking for eye watering wage rises when this country is on its arse(one for another thread maybe) Don’t pin your hopes on a large inheritance either because the authorities are coming to pinch it if there’s anyone requiring care and the longer that’s required you’ll be lucky to be left enough to to buy that new Arb digger you’ve lusted after.

We’re not all JR trigger-andy Ewings either with mega pay and pension😳 from an industry that’s taking the opportunity to bleed us dry under the smoke screen of a war🤔

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

But ironically not the nurses.

The curse of actually doing an important job.

Nonsense. Supposedly all jobs are essential, Covid told us that. Nurses go into their chosen profession eyes wide open. They know the wages for the work involved and it pays a bit better than being a cleaner which is what they’d most likely do if the opportunity of being a nurse did not rear its ugly head. Let’s face it, the qualifications required are guttural at best. The days of a Nurse being an actual vocational qualification went out the door when window  cleaners started describing themselves as Vision Technicians. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Why would young folk slog their guys out for a £250k property that a generation ago was bought for £20k? Inflation does not remotely account for the disparity. 

The latest budget is an eye opener for me. The U.K. will want £15k over what I already pay in Norway. I have two options; stay out of the U.K. for more than 90 days or reduce my working time so I stay under the £125k. The easiest solution is to work less and spend more time with the family. Get my earning down to £100k and I don’t pay the U.K. a penny. Anecdotally I know many who are planning on cutting their hours to get under the £100k threshold and be Scot free. HMRC shooting themselves  in the foot to appease the idiot masses. The proposal to raise the 45p threshold to £150k had legs. I’d still be paying in £5-8000 a year if that was the case. Now I plan on paying in nothing. 

Such is the politics of greed and envy.

Nope, the Tory’s have us in this situation, 12 years isn’t quite a live time, but it’s enough to get me, a middle earner, and you an high end earner into a state neither of us want. Would Labour have done anything better, I doubt it, but I’m no fan of them either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Nope, the Tory’s have us in this situation, 12 years isn’t quite a live time, but it’s enough to get me, a middle earner, and you an high end earner into a state neither of us want. Would Labour have done anything better, I doubt it, but I’m no fan of them either.

Damned if we do damned if we don’t. Voting left  wing or voting right wing is voting for the same Turkey. 

Labour constantly hounded the Tories to take more and more draconian measures. In Wales Labour did. In Komunist Scotland the SNP did. Had Labour been in power during Covid I have no doubt in my mind would have stuck to what they insisted the Tories do and we’d be six foot deeper in the shit, and that’s just based on what they say they’d do. Left to their own devices I shudder to think what they’d really do. 

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Damned if we do damned if we don’t. Voting left  wing or voting right wing is voting for the same Turkey. 

Labour constantly hounded the Tories to take more and more draconian measures. In Wales Labour did. In Komunist Scotland the SNP did. Had Labour been in power during Covid I have no doubt in my mind would have stuck to what they insisted the Tories do and we’d be six foot deeper in the shit, and that’s just based on what they say they’d do. Left to their own devices I shudder to think what they’d really do. 

I think you, like I, will be suffering it at the next GE. Then we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

I think you, like I, will be suffering it at the next GE. Then we will see what happens. 

Im gonna be proper raped at my current income level. 

In Norway the tax free allowance (for a country with a far higher cost of living) is about £5000. How on earth is it £12k+ when the average wage in the U.K. is not much more? 

In Norway you don’t lose your tax free allowance (nor child Benefits) regardless what you earn.

So if I go over £100K in the U.K. I lose 50p of my tax free allowance for every £1 I go over. With the new budget earning over £100K is pointless. I’ll cut back by £30-£60k and hardly notice a thing. 

I’ll do even less days a year. My goal is 70-90 now and still break the £100k 🤣