Towing/moving around a 6 vs 8 inch chipper

DWALLA

Hi all,

A general question about experiences towing and moving an 6 inch chipper vs an 8 inch. I currently use a greenmech Arb 150p which comes in at the 750kg mark. Looking at options for changing chipper and considering an 8.

I generally chip into another truck once at site, transit tipper…and I handle logs generally in a defender 110. So most of the time, once at site …chipper is unhooked from my truck and put behind a transit. Main question is, is pushing an 8inch chipper about do-able …day to day. Occasionally getting sloped or gravel surfaces etc, and does towing an 8 inch make a big difference in fuel economy. 

Thanks guys 👍

Damo

Edited by DWALLA

6 hours ago, dumper said:

An 8 inch chipper will fill the transit in minutes, what is the benefit ?

I honestly don't think the 8" chips any quicker than a 6" . It can chip bigger stuff that's all . But if as you say it will fill the transit in minutes then there is one benefit . 

• Like 3

Depends on the 8” and the 6”

An ST8 is a world away from a GM 150, and will make your day a lot more enjoyable and less tiring especially on conny removals (as long as it not broken down)

If it’s your only chipper I’d say go 8” (other brands are available)  bollocks to the diesel and as for manœuvring on site, you’ll find a way.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

Traditionally it was usually the case that if you had a transit you went for a 6 inch chipper and a 7.5t truck an 8 inch or bigger. This correlation usually worked as the bigger chipper needs bigger capacity to chip into. Not to mention the added wear and tear with towing a heavier machine. 

The older 6 inch machines weren’t a patch on the newer ones, I’m thinking Timberwolf 150 v 230. The 230 is much more economical onsite, less sneeding, faster chipping etc. Trying to push an 8 inch machine around on gravel can be a challenge, if you have two or three of you onsite it is doable, how easy it is to push up a steep driveway will depend on how big the guys are!

In terms of using more diesel I reckon that people who leave the chipper running constantly when there isn’t a bit of brash in sight probably spend more on diesel than somebody with an 8 inch machine who only turns it on when it’s actually needed. A mate of mine fires up the chipper as soon as the first saw starts up, then moans at the end of the day moans how much diesel it’s used and how dear it is to fuel up!

A lot of your chipper selection will depend on the work you predominantly do, a bigger chipper on the right job will obviously save time. For me if I had a transit to chip into then I would go 6 inch. If you have a larger truck with a bigger chip box then I would go 8 inch. Pro’s and con’s of both when looking at 6 inch v 8 inch.

• Like 3

8 all day even with a transit. You will learn to back it more where you want but they are push able with 2 people. Also the time saved snedding out forks and the joy of watching lots more connifer disappear will more than cover the extra fuel to drag it around. Fuel usage is about the same for the chipper between 6 and 8, but I’ve not run a petrol chipper so can’t comment on them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have chipped with my bandit 90 into the back of a friends transit the chips hit the back of the cab and bounced back out, it’s happier filling a 7.5 tonne and is capable of filling much bigger,it wasn’t to slow filling a artic trailer

why chip 8 inch logs when you can sell these for more than chip or at least dispose at no cost ,is the difference between the chippers that great on brash?

they work well being loaded by grab but the time and labour saved with grab loading is lost on filling transit quickly and waiting for it to return

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dumper said:

I have chipped with my bandit 90 into the back of a friends transit the chips hit the back of the cab and bounced back out, it’s happier filling a 7.5 tonne and is capable of filling much bigger,it wasn’t to slow filling a artic trailer

why chip 8 inch logs when you can sell these for more than chip or at least dispose at no cost ,is the difference between the chippers that great on brash?

they work well being loaded by grab but the time and labour saved with grab loading is lost on filling transit quickly and waiting for it to return

That is the trouble with large chipper, but if most of his work is one load away not a problem. But if he has or gets himself a trailer it would also work well. 

It's about time chipper manufacturers had an option of fitting power drive to wheels like some carvans have. 

• Like 3