Concerns as to if we will have business suitable vehicles to run....

Jamie Jones

Planning for the Businesses Future is Concerning Me Where Work Vehicles are Concerned...

I currently run my Grounds Maintenance and Tree Surgery Business with a Pick-Up truck (Ford Ranger 3.2l) and a tipping trailer.

But to build the business I have been thinking, do I add a more dedicated Arb Truck that would be more suitable for both side of the business?

But there is now a big problem in that new commercial vehicles are becoming unfit for purpose now?
1) Transit Vans have no towing or load capacity unless you go for really big versions.
2) Pick-Up Trucks engines have reduced in size and are becoming unsustainable.
3) The likes of the Mitsubishi L200 and the Nissan Navara have stopped bringing vehicles into the country because emissions have strangled their engines, and they don't have a viable alternative.
4) For bigger commercial vehicles like the 3.5t Nissan NV400 Cabstar are in the same position where they have also had to pull out of supplying UK markets because they can't make an engine that is feasible to be able to meet emissions.

This is not leaving much scope as manufacturers are ditching the UK market for supplying suitable Vehicles to.
I think that it could be hard times ahead running a business when politicians are legislating viable options unviable.

ArbTrucks.jpeg

14 hours ago, aspenarb said:

I don't think anything has changed, its still the same choice of a 4x4/ trailer, Mogs/tractors, overloaded 3.5 tonners or get a proper truck.

Bob

I went from contracting to working for GreenMech back in 1997 and even then, I had decided that the Transit sized stuff wasn't for tree work. Better of getting a 7.5t tipper and proper licence or even better, a shortened 10t tipper! Less chance of being overloaded or working the thing to beyond it's performance envelope all the time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same predicament now. My Hilux 2004 has been bullet proof for the past 6 years, but it's suffering from rust across the whole underside of the tub and has big holes around the fixing supports to the chassis. I reckon it will fail it's MOT in December, so I'm looking for a new pickup for around 10k, but what is available doesn't fill me with much confidence. Pickups now look like pleasure vehicles. I don't want the transit or anything larger as I don't need it . Kind of stuck at the moment.

24 minutes ago, Gardenscape said:

I'm in the same predicament now. My Hilux 2004 has been bullet proof for the past 6 years, but it's suffering from rust across the whole underside of the tub and has big holes around the fixing supports to the chassis. I reckon it will fail it's MOT in December, so I'm looking for a new pickup for around 10k, but what is available doesn't fill me with much confidence. Pickups now look like pleasure vehicles. I don't want the transit or anything larger as I don't need it . Kind of stuck at the moment.

No offence, but don’t talk daft, you’re not stuck, or if you are, it’s only in your head.

Pick ups these days are better than 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No offence, but don’t talk daft, you’re not stuck, or if you are, it’s only in your head.

Pick ups these days are better than 20 years ago.

They are for sure Mick but you can't do short trips any more without having to get your DPF regened . Game keepers is a prime example .