hello looking for free wood please

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I use a magnet to get the nails out of the ash before they jam the grate.

A mate of mine does this with the magnet as he burns a lot of pallets, he takes about 30 pallets a wk from a fruit n veg wholesaler and when he gets the nails out with the magnet he fills a metal bucket and then a 45 gallon drum with lid cut out about 1 1/2 45 gallon drums a year of nails etc, 

19 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

A mate of mine does this with the magnet as he burns a lot of pallets, he takes about 30 pallets a wk from a fruit n veg wholesaler and when he gets the nails out with the magnet he fills a metal bucket and then a 45 gallon drum with lid cut out about 1 1/2 45 gallon drums a year of nails etc, 

I put the nails in a 25 litre metal oil drum, It's only half full after a couple of years but I don't get many pallets since I retired.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Exmoor Chris said:

Nothing is free, I do get upset hearing this question after days and weeks of hard work getting it out of the woods.

That said, myself and a great many others are always willing to take you on for a days graft where you can earn some!

How would that work then?? What would be involved??

john..

Back closer to topic, how do y'all cut up your old pallets/waste wood?

I gave up on the chainsaw as no matter how careful you were you always caught a random nail somewhere so that was another sharpening session.

Ended up cutting it with a reciprocating saw, seemed slow at first but it's amazing the pile of stuff you can build up in half an hour.

Harsh on the old joints though.

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

Back closer to topic, how do y'all cut up your old pallets/waste wood?

I gave up on the chainsaw as no matter how careful you were you always caught a random nail somewhere so that was another sharpening session.

Ended up cutting it with a reciprocating saw, seemed slow at first but it's amazing the pile of stuff you can build up in half an hour.

Harsh on the old joints though.

No problem using chainsaw to cut through the boards and  missing the  nails but I have also used a sabre saw to cut down on noise and waste.