hello looking for free wood please

27 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Probably like you tried chainsaw, circular saw pinches, jigsaw works but slow, thinner ones you can smash up quickest with an axe.

Given up cutting pallets now really, use other wood. Bits of wood for kindling I usually cut with a bowsaw.

I was given four tractor trailer loads of waste wood (old pallets, doors, decking, etc) initially to pick through, take out any big stuff, and have a big bonfire with the rest.

Given how things have gone this year, it's all going in the solid fuel cooker, every last naily, horrible piece of it.

2 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I was given four tractor trailer loads of waste wood (old pallets, doors, decking, etc) initially to pick through, take out any big stuff, and have a big bonfire with the rest.

Given how things have gone this year, it's all going in the solid fuel cooker, every last naily, horrible piece of it.

I'd rather burn leylandii logs though and there's never a shortage of those around. Most of that construction waste is softwood anyway.

It's pretty time consuming work, and fairly poor quality fuel.

It's certainly not something you'd go out of your way to look for, I permitted tipping of it in my old silo as a favour to someone who needed rid of it pronto.

I squirrel a consignment of it away under cover during a dry spell and then cut through it whenever suits, usually when it's p!ssing it down.

At least with energy prices where they are, it's not as crazy a waste of time and effort as a year ago.

It heats water OK.

But cutting your own home produced firing is a pleasure, this is unquestionably a chore.

Edited by coppice cutter

5 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Back closer to topic, how do y'all cut up your old pallets/waste wood?

I gave up on the chainsaw as no matter how careful you were you always caught a random nail somewhere so that was another sharpening session.

Ended up cutting it with a reciprocating saw, seemed slow at first but it's amazing the pile of stuff you can build up in half an hour.

Harsh on the old joints though.

I use a reciprocating saw too. I use the things for kindling, that is all [the pallets i mean]

Trick with the saw is not to press the foot of the thing on the pallet, just hold it so only the blade is in contact, no vibration then!!

Works for me anyway..

john..

Pallets - if they are still whole then you are usually OK to go through the stringers with a saw. My preference is to assume they are kindling, use a decent piece of wood to prize them apart - crow bar if you must, then just split the planks lengthways. At half or third width, a decent hit with the axe chops them into length

• Like 2

If I had stuff as well organised as that I'd build a load of it in to the saw horse and run the chainsaw through it.

Unfortunately what I got wasn't that structured, seems like it's just been a dumping ground for anything wooden for a few years. Old doors, some d-rail in it, roof timbers, the odd bit of thin ply, broken pallets, etc, all nasty stuff to work with.

But, it's heating water and saving the good stuff for the wood burners.