Problems and issues this industry faces and how to deal with them.

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

We are mugs and do it as a hobby.. not a real business, otherwise most would be charging a lot more with the gear involved… just my interpretation? 

Basically. 

And the amount who allow customers to disrespect them by not applying cancellation charges etc etc 

Not charging the right rates all comes down to people not understanding that they are creating a semi profitable job and not a profitable business. 

If more were looking at their GP's and net profits , return on capital and so on, they would see why they need to charge more. 

They will also then be able to allocated a day a month for yard days, training, tool box talks etc because there is significant profit to allow for it. 

Not just getting by.

The barrier to entry for domestic work is so low (no quals needed, no insurance check, cash in hand employees) that a lot can do it (often badly) which degrades the trade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

The barrier to entry for domestic work is so low (no quals needed, no insurance check, cash in hand employees) that a lot can do it (often badly) which degrades the trade.

What do you propose to change this?

Its always been this way for a lot of trades. All you can do is differentiate yourself in some way or find a niche. 

1 minute ago, doobin said:

What do you propose to change this?

Its always been this way for a lot of trades. All you can do is differentiate yourself in some way or find a niche. 

Short of some form of licensing which lets be real, won't be enforced, nothing. 

Also I have my reservations about licensing as we all have to start somewhere. 

But at where do you draw the line at what defines tree work?

Is a gardener not allowed to reduce a hedge or get a ladder and a bowsaw to take down a 20ft birch in his clients back garden?

Do you really want a regulatory body dictating what safety signs you have up in your workshop? Some bloke you never met checking on your work with an option to rescind your licence and your living if you don’t meet their expectations?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Do you really want a regulatory body dictating what safety signs you have up in your workshop? Some bloke you never met checking on your work with an option to rescind your licence and your living if you don’t meet their expectations?

I already do, the HSE and once you employ 5 or more you really need to take it seriously. 

I don't have anything to hide with my work so no problem with people checking, but the issue would be the lack of checks, making the whole thing a lead weight for those compliant and a leg up for those who aren't 

Licensing likely isn't the answer. 

People not knowing that they are running a business is the main issue. Knowing that you can charge a lot more than the 1.5k people have stuck in their heads as a limit for a 4 man crew would also be good. 

If im quoting solo for a big builder, I can comfortably get away with 2.5k a day for 4 men. 

As soon as anyone else is quoting you can kiss goodbye to that 😂

Whilst you could say im not competitive, it does however show that clients ARE willing to pay these amounts and it is only ourselves who are getting rates down 

Edited by Clutchy
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Clutchy said:

I already do, the HSE and once you employ 5 or more you really need to take it seriously. 

I don't have anything to hide with my work so no problem with people checking, but the issue would be the lack of checks, making the whole thing a lead weight for those compliant and a leg up for those who aren't 

Licensing likely isn't the answer. 

People not knowing that they are running a business is the main issue. Knowing that you can charge a lot more than the 1.5k people have stuck in their heads as a limit for a 4 man crew would also be good. 

If im quoting solo for a big builder, I can comfortably get away with 2.5k a day for 4 men. 

As soon as anyone else is quoting you can kiss goodbye to that 😂

Whilst you could say im not competitive, it does however show that clients ARE willing to pay these amounts and it is only ourselves who are getting rates down 

Come up north and compete against some of the local lads and you'd be on the dole very soon 😆 🤣 

Being serious I take it you have a low conversion rate but high profit? 

• Like 1

In this day and age very few people just get one quote.... many are 3 quotes plus..... 

How do you feel you are going to get on in the economic climate which we currently have and possible heading to a recession if not allready in one and waiting for the money to run out?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swinny said:

In this day and age very few people just get one quote.... many are 3 quotes plus..... 

How do you feel you are going to get on in the economic climate which we currently have and possible heading to a recession if not allready in one and waiting for the money to run out?

There’s no ‘possible’ about it

• Like 2