Echo 2511 air filter options

stewmo

I always use carb cleaner and a compressor. It opens up the holes in the polyester mesh rather than filling them with dried up water and suds as using water and soap does. Seen many look clean to the eye but a magnifying glass shows otherwise.

The polyester mesh is tough, you are very unlikely to damage it unless you cut it with something sharp.

I used similar mesh when screen printing 35 years ago and only sharp edges will kill it. It resists most chemicals, printing inks and solvent, most of them are pretty aggressive so a bit of air and carb cleaner is fine!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, john87 said:

The mesh is VERY delicate, so i would forget compressed air or brushing it or anything else like that. I just wash mine in hot soapy water [washing up liquid] and let it dry. Comes up like new..

john..

I have never seen an air line damage a filter. From experience of owning this saw I would echo Mark's advice. Good clean with carb cleaner gets rid of the oily residue and a good blast of the airline brings it back to new.

Also from experience I would avoid messing with the carb settings if the saw is otherwise running OK. They're fiddly buggers and can be difficult to get back to factory settings. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

I have never seen an air line damage a filter. From experience of owning this saw I would echo Mark's advice. Good clean with carb cleaner gets rid of the oily residue and a good blast of the airline brings it back to new.

Also from experience I would avoid messing with the carb settings if the saw is otherwise running OK. They're fiddly buggers and can be difficult to get back to factory settings. 

I cleaned mine and i started with the air line but when i saw how thin the mesh was i thought it might tear it, so i just washed it as i said.

I am with you on messing with the carb settings. Mine went a bit funny for a few days not long after i had it. The thing would stall when you went to rev it from tickover unless you opened the throttle really slowly. I was going to adjust the slow running screw and even bought the special tool, but then the thing saw my coming with the tool, ran properly, and has been faultless ever since..

john,,

On 22/05/2022 at 21:41, Mark_Skyland said:

Just split the air filter and give it a blast with some brake cleaner. They then come up as new. I haven't came across any that have needed binning.

I think they the fleece one would be a big headache which is why we haven't bothered to stock them.

Hi Mark, You an Echo dealer then??

john..

16 hours ago, john87 said:

The mesh is VERY delicate, so i would forget compressed air or brushing it or anything else like that. I just wash mine in hot soapy water [washing up liquid] and let it dry. Comes up like new..

john..

Been blowing mine out with an air line for ever . Never damaged one doing that.

1 hour ago, Stere said:

I read that some sponge filters need oil on them to work better.

main product photo

Just rip out the spitback plate then. The engine will provide all the oil on the filter you want :)

Oil will attract all the dust even sooner. With all seriousness all saw manufacturers try to avoid oil getting on the filter with even paying money for patents of spitback prevention measures. Here’s a pic of a weirdest one :)

D797CFF4-ED39-4BB7-936E-E831F660DB97.jpeg