Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

Is this the thread where we boast about how much we are worth?

Because if it is,I have probably cut down the biggest trees for the most money, as well as felling the smallest trees for the most money.

I have a Unimog and a Valtra with a crane and chipper.The Valtra cab gets a bit small at times due to my swollen head,but thats ok because no one is as good as me.

Log off everybody,I have won.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I made a tractor and crane out of technical Lego that can lift larger trees than your Valtra

While you wrote that I was paid a small fortune just to think about Trees.

My brother was paid £600 a day just to suggest that I think about sawmilling.

People even pay me for my bad ideas,they are worth more than your good ideas.I dont really need this job or to enrich your forum with my writings.

You owe me thousands Bullman.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

For smaller businesses wages for groundie or climber seem to be on a day rate of between £80-200 pd. Due to fluctuations in work load, business costs, etc I doubt the owners of these smaller businesses  pay themselves a wage consistently much more than this per day ie (15-50k per year?). When I say small business I mean 1-3 man operations sole traders/ltd. I don't know about larger tree businesses but I guess directors seeing 100k per year in the arb world is rare (Unless your milling and then seeing £200k PA is quite feasible!). I think before you can comment on if a wage for a worker is suitable you need to know what the owner is making? Many do seem to run small tree businesses as a lifestyle - choosing to work part time etc. 

When contracting I will usually be the climber, so I get that wage and also the profit from the job. 
When it comes to more technical stuff it makes far more sense to me to pay someone to do the climbing in half the time it would take me, if indeed I was skilled enough to do it in the first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I made a tractor and crane out of technical Lego that can lift larger trees than your Valtra

2 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

While you wrote that I was paid a small fortune just to think about Trees.

My little finger could lift that lego crane.💪

Oh yes, and I am applying for a government grant to set aside part of my brain (🧠) to not think about trees.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

We seem to have turned in to a very greedy nation over the last 30-40 yrs and its down to the same old thing Money,, i am pretty old school really and one thing i do get out of my work is enjoyment and satisfaction and i think at times for me that is more important than the money side of it.

I don't know if this was aimed at my response at all but if you do this work purely for the enjoyment like a lot of members here do, why start a business? Why not just contract climb or work for someone.

That would be better than dragging the industry rates down punishing us 'greedy guys' right? Plus way less stress 

I think there must be a few people in that position (Not saying you are as I likely misunderstood your post). 

Also the cost in beer difference between London and the North is because of the property it is served in and thus the rent/mortgage that is due and factored into each pint. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

I don't know if this was aimed at my response at all but if you do this work purely for the enjoyment like a lot of members here do, why start a business? Why not just contract climb or work for someone.

That would be better than dragging the industry rates down punishing us 'greedy guys' right? Plus way less stress 

I think there must be a few people in that position (Not saying you are as I likely misunderstood your post). 

Also the cost in beer difference between London and the North is because of the property it is served in and thus the rent/mortgage that is due and factored into each pint. 

Why not start a business? Much nicer being your own boss 

2 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Why not start a business? Much nicer being your own boss 

Then run it as a business or register it as a charity if you just want to get by 😅

The issue is that if you don't take the business seriously, you're unlikely to have the resources to pay staff the appropriate wage for what is a very hard and dangerous job.  

The arb industry must have the most 'hobby' ran businesses out there 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Then run it as a business or register it as a charity if you just want to get by 😅

The issue is that if you don't take the business seriously, you're unlikely to have the resources to pay staff the appropriate wage for what is a very hard and dangerous job.  

The arb industry must have the most 'hobby' ran businesses out there 

sole trader gardeners and tree guys can choose to run there own business how they see fit. Not everyone wants to build a massive business.  Just the same as a plumber may choose to work one day a week. 

Edited by briscoe