Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think a change is coming mate.

There are simply not enough youngsters willing or able to go into skilled manual trades, so rates will rise.

Probably be spot on by the time we retire!

To me, an HGV driver, skilled machine operator, or skilled manual tradesman should be worth far more than a computer games designer.

As these skills become scarcer the public will have to catch up to the idea.

Or their bins won’t be getting emptied.

I should keep out of it, but it's nonsense that boils my. p*ss.. I'll not rattle on anymore because it fecks me off. All of us know a good tradesman should and could be on more than £13/hour.

• Like 2

Unless contract ie utility, council etc Arb jobs are rarely more than a few days so companies find it difficult to employ especially when overheads/cost of equipment are extremely high. Much easier in building trade where a few extensions can fill the diary for a year and so easy to know figures with much lower equipment cost/overheads. I think on the whole arb is for guys in there 20s who are looking for a bit of fun and excitement before moving on to something else or setting up there own and getting the young guys on a ton a day to do the work. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Unless contract ie utility, council etc Arb jobs are rarely more than a few days so companies find it difficult to employ especially when overheads/cost of equipment are extremely high. Much easier in building trade where a few extensions can fill the diary for a year and so easy to know figures with much lower equipment cost/overheads. I think on the whole arb is for guys in there 20s who are looking for a bit of fun and excitement before moving on to something else or setting up there own and getting the young guys on a ton a day to do the work. 

I was going to shut it, but this sums it up, "for a ton a day". 

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Ok, to answer the question, yes i would work for less than Mark suggested (as an employee, maybe not if taking jobs as an actual subcontractor which is what he referred to).

I think the level of earning has much more value to you than I. As long as I earn "enough" then I rate my lifestyle, time with loved ones etc as being more important. I'm mortgage free, had a private pension since I started work at 17, and couldn't be happier with what I do for work. Lot more to life than just earning more...

Conversely I work off-shore mainly to spend more time with the family. I work 80-120 days out of 365 days a year. I’ve done the on-shore thing and I hardly seen the family. Out at 06:30, home at 16:00 then trying to squeeze all the jobs that need doing into a few hours in the evening. No thank you. Endless days out with the kids year in year out suits me far more. 

Plus I love my job. ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaySmith said:

Regional variations will always be there. For Kent where I am, for guys on the books I think you would be looking at something like this:

Groundie who can use chipper and saw, limited experience - £80 - £100 a day
Competent Groundie/2nd climber aerial rescue - £95 - £110 a day
Good climber who can undertake a wide range of duties and also do large trees - £110 - £130 a day
Top draw climber/team leader who can do pretty much everything like crane work, run large jobs, other skills such as fix machines etc - £130 - £160 a day.

I know of guys subbing who are charging between £160 and £200 per day. Obviously there will be exceptions to this but this is just a snap shot and based on three firms in my immediate area.

I wouldn’t want to get into the actual £s in each bracket you’ve punted there Jay. 

What I would observe though is that I’d consider the differential between the brackets is too narrow to properly recognise and reward the varying levels of experience / expertise between the brackets. 

41 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I should keep out of it, but it's nonsense that boils my. p*ss.. I'll not rattle on anymore because it fecks me off. All of us know a good tradesman should and could be on more than £13/hour.

Exactly. £2-3 more than someone working in Tesco’s? It’s utterly ridiculous. But the argument seems to revolve around loving what they do to justify the near on minimum unskilled wage. 

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Exactly. £2-3 more than someone working in Tesco’s? It’s utterly ridiculous. But the argument seems to revolve around loving what they do to justify the near on minimum unskilled wage. 

Every little helps though. That 2-3 pounds an hour is an extra 80-120 per wk. Plus playing with saws in gardens with tea etc is much more appealing than being on the tills for 8hrs!

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It’s important that you and @eggsarascal understand, we don’t give a shit what you think.

Not even a tiny bit.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s important that you and Eggs understand, we don’t give a shit what you think.

Not even a tiny bit.

Likewise Mike. :) It’s very important that you also understand that. Can’t say it’s not fun watching you guys scrape the barrel and justify earning £2-3 over minimum wage and try to justify it. 

Paid from the neck down I guess?