Wages for employees

TREES.SERVICES

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

True I actually thought about that later but though it was pointless to edit the post. But since you ask, I guess 8-10 liters of fuel and 2-3 bands that will need re-sharpened. So I guess I could add another £50 to the expenses for the day.  I'll maybe get a vented bag filled with the Backs and sell that for an additional £50. The hire of the Branch Logger works out at £7 a bag. So Im back to £930 to£940 for the day. 

Cant think of any other expenses really? What am I missing? 

Andy, I think your missing out the important comparisons?  Most of the Arbs on here started at the bottom at various stages of their working life. They would of worked for next to nothing, and had living costs and by the time the weekend was out they were probably skint. As their skill level increased along with qualifications( don’t know what training you’ve had for your mill and processor but I can guess) all these qualifications cost( some would of had some help from the government and employers) some would of earn’t sweet Fanny Adams when they were training. As their career went on the money went up and also their costs - cars, women, rent, mortgages etc, this meant very few people could save much money to buy kit and set themselves up to make the leap and go on their own. 
When they finally made the leap of faith they may or may not of had a truck and possibly a trailer. As for a chipper - don’t require one of those? I’ll just slash it down in the back of a trailer with the chainsaw so I can get more on. Finally can’t put it off any longer a chipper is required to get the lot on and cut down the journeys! How the hell will I afford one of those? They’re more than my truck, I’m barely making a living, I’ll have to have one on finance. Then someone says the jobs yours “can you show us your Public Liability Ins and employers insurance certs” before you start and your kits failed loler or gone out of date - more expense. Want some new tyres on the truck, the old Stihl 260 won’t star cos it’s knackered. The whole mary  go round with a big millstone around the neck as started🤔 do you see where I’m going Andy? 
You Andy have a regular well paid job in a lucrative industry, being paid well for not many days of your time. You’ve probably bought your mill, processors and saws for cash, ie, no finance. As you’ve previously said with your mantels” pay the price, they can take it or leave it, I’m not too bothered” No , because it’s not your livelihood is it, you’ve started out in your second career( almost a hobby?) without having to make a living from it. There’s no risk to doing what your doing. You can buy in the timber to suit the orders you’ve got.
Blokes on here have worked long hours in all weathers to run their business, laid out an awful lot of money in some case and taken big risks, they’ve speculated, put their neck on the line and it could all come to a grinding halt tomorrow when the work slows down or stops or they have an injury or illness, you Andy can just stick your kit on Arb trader and find another hobby that could turn out lucrative🤔.

Sorry it’s long winded if I could of said it in two words I would of!

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Andy, I think your missing out the important comparisons?  Most of the Arbs on here started at the bottom at various stages of their working life. They would of worked for next to nothing, and had living costs and by the time the weekend was out they were probably skint. As their skill level increased along with qualifications( don’t know what training you’ve had for your mill and processor but I can guess) all these qualifications cost( some would of had some help from the government and employers) some would of earn’t sweet Fanny Adams when they were training. As their career went on the money went up and also their costs - cars, women, rent, mortgages etc, this meant very few people could save much money to buy kit and set themselves up to make the leap and go on their own. 
When they finally made the leap of faith they may or may not of had a truck and possibly a trailer. As for a chipper - don’t require one of those? I’ll just slash it down in the back of a trailer with the chainsaw so I can get more on. Finally can’t put it off any longer a chipper is required to get the lot on and cut down the journeys! How the hell will I afford one of those? They’re more than my truck, I’m barely making a living, I’ll have to have one on finance. Then someone says the jobs yours “can you show us your Public Liability Ins and employers insurance certs” before you start and your kits failed loler or gone out of date - more expense. Want some new tyres on the truck, the old Stihl 260 won’t star cos it’s knackered. The whole mary  go round with a big millstone around the neck as started🤔 do you see where I’m going Andy? 
You Andy have a regular well paid job in a lucrative industry, being paid well for not many days of your time. You’ve probably bought your mill, processors and saws for cash, ie, no finance. As you’ve previously said with your mantels” pay the price, they can take it or leave it, I’m not too bothered” No , because it’s not your livelihood is it, you’ve started out in your second career( almost a hobby?) without having to make a living from it. There’s no risk to doing what your doing. You can buy in the timber to suit the orders you’ve got.
Blokes on here have worked long hours in all weathers to run their business, laid out an awful lot of money in some case and taken big risks, they’ve speculated, put their neck on the line and it could all come to a grinding halt tomorrow when the work slows down or stops or they have an injury or illness, you Andy can just stick your kit on Arb trader and find another hobby that could turn out lucrative🤔.

Sorry it’s long winded if I could of said it in two words I would of!

The only time I’ve ever found work to be lucrative is once I’ve got all the gear to make it easy. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

It wasen,t aimed at any body really, but sorry if you think it was ! 

You say or think i do it for purely for enjoyment ! i did not say that, what i said was i do get enjoyment and satisfaction from my work, now i have always understood that if you are happy with in your work it leads to a better job and with a happier crew you will get far more out of than a crew that is not happy, 

i have ran a business since the mid 80s and the way i see it is, if i dont know what i am doing by now its time to give up, so why would i want to go and climb for someone else when i am in my now late 50s ? or go and work for some one else when i have my own work and plenty of it ?,

Where do you get it from that i am dragging the industry rates down ? i have not said anything about any rates nor would i ever print any rates on a public forum and that is something i lernt many many years ago,  that information is for me and my accountant only, what other people charge is there business as like what i charge and make is mine,

I am in a very good position in life at present and if i get out of bed in the morning and i have not planed any work in, i may take myself of fishing, shooting or dog training for the day i dont really need to go to work every day now a days, 

Now with your answer to the price of beer in London, you answered it as i see it, rent mortgage costs they all have to be factored in, but after all the bar you get served in in London is the same as a bar in say York, its 4 walls with a roof on it, electric and gas costs are the same nation wide !! its just the Greedy barstards at the top of the chain like the muti million airs who have bought the properties councils and all the other organisations that fleece the every day working man, 

I think you have got the wrong picture of me !! one thing i do enjoy doing is passing my knowledge and experience down to the younger generations and that i do for a very fair swap for a bit of free labour back,,

I have indeed got the wrong idea, sorry :) One thing I will say, I have been through the books of several tree companies since I did a little write up on business expenses and lets just say years of experience doesn't necessarily mean you know how to do business.  However I'm sure in your case you do 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

I have indeed got the wrong idea, sorry :) One thing I will say, I have been through the books of several tree companies since I did a little write up on business expenses and lets just say years of experience doesn't necessarily mean you know how to do business.  However I'm sure in your case you do 

That is very true, i know several that wont take advise as the only way to do it is there way, i have been on sites and seen a lot over the years and seen some really silly things going on, one of late was seventeen trees being removed for a housing development all bar about 4 small Sycamores where climbed and dismantled ? it was in the middle of some rough fields, i went to ask them what they where doing with 4 half decent oak stems, answer not for sale they where going to move it all, i offered the services of a tractor and forwarding trailer but declined, i would of moved it all to roadside in a day and loaded his transit n trailer for him several times in the day, him and 3 lads carrying rings 60/70yds across a rough field for 4 days, no logic in that to me at all, this guy has been doing it 20+yrs !!!, I am ready for scaling back and getting rid of some toys and spending more time on my boat and more important more me time,,,

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just for the firms in my area still charging the same rate bottom end rates. We go out for roughly £300 per man per day and £150 for the chipper. £150 for additional vehicular and £400 for a digger given the right situation. These prices will have vat added on top. We win 90% of our work.

No matter how low your overheads are going out 550 a day for 2 blokes is backwards. Owner operators never realise that they must also take a pay as well as the business. There would be very little room for sustainable profit if you were not onsite and employing two others…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Teachers are 190 days a year or thereabouts 

My wife teaches, she leaves at 7.30am and gets home at 5, then marks books from 6.30 until 9 or 10, in the holidays she plans lessons etc, some nights on the phone with parents or students....so your 190 days is bollocks!
  • Like 4

On 04/04/2022 at 16:46, Hodge said:

My wife teaches, she leaves at 7.30am and gets home at 5, then marks books from 6.30 until 9 or 10, in the holidays she plans lessons etc, some nights on the phone with parents or students....so your 190 days is bollocks!

My wife does the same so yes it’s bollocks however that is the amount they are “supposed” to do. That’s why I get slightly annoyed when people complain about the pensions and holidays etc.

Its not a job to do for the money or the holidays.

and yes I think they should get an pay rise of about 15% to get back to somewhere like where they would have been had there not been years of either noting or 1%