Climbing a "leaner"

john87

I will also take the easy option of felling all the time, can see how your cuts would work, but have all ways pull a line on back leaners when I can even if its a rope tried off to another tree. If wedging them over do front cut and then bore back cut in from back which give you some where to put wedge then cut each side. 

Best of all if I can get truck winch on the line to pull it as it have wireless remote. 

Edited by woody paul

It’s flaming obvious what he should do!

Sell his house, bank the money, buy a campervan, live in that and with what’s left buy a tree surgery firm, lock stock and barrel, get them to do it, then sell the firm, buy your house back, relax.

About as sensible as some of the suggestions as this thread drifts into insanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s flaming obvious what he should do!

Sell his house, bank the money, buy a campervan, live in that and with what’s left buy a tree surgery firm, lock stock and barrel, get them to do it, then sell the firm, buy your house back, relax.

About as sensible as some of the suggestions as this thread drifts into insanity.

He could go into building near by and cut it out of window with gypsy stick. 

• Haha 1

There's a neat way to fell weird trees without smashing the bushes etc to bits. I've described it before..

First you install a hand winch.

You cut a super wide gob. Then you widen out the hinge in the back of the gob - vertically - about four inches. Then you make two back cuts, one four inches above the other. Leave lots of holding wood. Then you pull the tree over with the winch. It will slowly bend at the hinge, but not break off. You pretty much have to winch it down all the way. As the canopy comes closer to the ground/ understory, you can work it with a pole saw.

• Like 1

There's a neat way to fell weird trees without smashing the bushes etc to bits. I've described it before..

You cut a super wide gob. Then you widen out the hinge in the back of the gob - vertically - about four inches. Then you make two back cuts, one four inches above the other. Leave lots of holding wood. Then you pull the tree over with the winch. It will slowly bend at the hinge, but not break off. You pretty much have to winch it down all the way. As the canopy comes closer to the ground/ understory, you can work it with a pole saw.
I can't quite understand what you are saying here.

8 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
30 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Read more  

I understand, and I can imagine the kind of situation where one might use it. I'd probably just go ahead and climb it though, to be honest.

Like kerf bending, but facing the other way.

new-art-b.jpg

46 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Read more  

I'm guessing just a method to increase the depth of the hinge so as to extend the length it bends over, hinge in grey in my sketch.

96742723_Screenshotfrom2022-02-2322-26-23.thumb.png.e0d3011a03932c6d3bb73e8fb64fe4cd.png

Edited by openspaceman

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I'm guessing just a method to increase the depth of the hinge so as to extend the length it bends over, hinge in grey in my sketch.

96742723_Screenshotfrom2022-02-2322-26-23.thumb.png.e0d3011a03932c6d3bb73e8fb64fe4cd.png

That's it mate, you got it! Can make multiple back cuts if needed, like in the kerf bending pics in Ped's post...

Not something I do very often, but it's an option. Only works on a sound tree obviously. Did a 18 inch diameter dying ash thus way last summer, wee plants all over beneath. Bent it right over with a tirfor, in the end the stem was horizontal to the ground, still attached.