Climbing a "leaner"

john87

8 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Seems to be a lot of over complicated advice in my opinion. It's a small tree. Just spike up the top of the lean.

Use it as practice getting comfy on spikes

Yes, that is the plan. I do not want to take a chance on geting stuck up there though, as, the fire brigade would not be able to get in there with a turntable ladder, not would they even get in with an ordinary ladder.

It would have to be some sort of arb climbing firm that would be called out to get a climbing line to me so as i could get down.

It would be just my luck if it were one of you lot!! I would never live it down!!

john..

7 hours ago, john87 said:

It would have to be some sort of arb climbing firm that would be called out to get a climbing line to me so as i could get down.

?

Are you climbing this tree without your own rope?

Just how stuck are you hoping to get?

I think I want to see some pictures of this tree, because either I'm missing a piece of the puzzle or you shouldn't be trying to climb it.

Edit to add:

Could I remind you of the existence of a really useful bit of kit for when the start of the climb is really not worth the hassle... a nice big double or triple extension ladder? There's really no shame in it... ladder against tree, set your rope as high as you can, ask groundie to remove ladder OR descend and remove it yourself, prusik back up your rope and carry on with life... then no-one has to call a passing tree surgeon with a... second climbing line...? to get you down from a tree like a hungry cat...

Edited by peds
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Oooerrr... Do not fancy that!!

john...

Try it, what's the worst that can happen? You'll never improve from within your comfort zone. 

1 hour ago, peds said:

?

Are you climbing this tree without your own rope?

Just how stuck are you hoping to get?

I think I want to see some pictures of this tree, because either I'm missing a piece of the puzzle or you shouldn't be trying to climb it.

Edit to add:

Could I remind you of the existence of a really useful bit of kit for when the start of the climb is really not worth the hassle... a nice big double or triple extension ladder? There's really no shame in it... ladder against tree, set your rope as high as you can, ask groundie to remove ladder OR descend and remove it yourself, prusik back up your rope and carry on with life... then no-one has to call a passing tree surgeon with a... second climbing line...? to get you down from a tree like a hungry cat...

This. The anti ladder mentality from some tree folk is pure baffling. I'm not necessarily advocating cutting and working from ladders (though I'd be a hypocrite to condemn it), but to dismiss ladders as an appropriate means of access is just silly.

• Like 13