Electric winch for tracked chipper

scbk

I'm lead to believe that hydraulic are impressively more expensive than electric! We have fitted both in the past and both have their pros and cons tbh. One of the best tips I could give is to invest in a fibre rope instead of steel. I think we use Dyneema?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I'm lead to believe that hydraulic are impressively more expensive than electric! We have fitted both in the past and both have their pros and cons tbh. One of the best tips I could give is to invest in a fibre rope instead of steel. I think we use Dyneema?

Can you buy the winch tray for the safetrack machines from gm? Are they a decent beefed up thing?

7 minutes ago, swinny said:

Can you buy the winch tray for the safetrack machines from gm? Are they a decent beefed up thing?

Yes, the winch tray is available as a spare part. However, a factory fitted unit has a sensor in each leg, one leg has to be fully retracted to switch on the winch circuit for strength and stability. Home fitted units rely on the operator to ensure that this is done!

I know that a hydraulic would be a better winch, but a quick look on ebay, probably not much change out of £1k time you get a valve/hoses/delivery etc, which is probably a bit overkill for the use it would get.

Has anyone with an electric winch upgraded the battery?

It should state in which ever winch you buy manual what size battery it needs minimum but you will still need a good alternator to keep it topped up. 

You shouldn't need a massive winch on a chipper if it's for self recovery or the odd tree pull, worth looking at Winchmax winchs on ebay

Edited by woody paul