Sunday Noise Abatement Laws England

hesslemount

On 10/02/2022 at 20:24, Mick Dempsey said:

Sundays are a day of rest, not a God bothering thing, just that society and humans needs a day that’s different, one that is focused on family or recuperation or reflection on why you’re doing it for the rest of the week.

If you just want it to be just another day, another 8 hours on the treadmill for you and the rest of society, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, an endless cycle of money making and shopping, fair enough. But try to see how others might not want chippers and saws in a residential area one day a week even if that interferes with your enjoyment.

I don't agree with this.

Why is one day any different from another?

As populations rise everyone taking the same day for R&R is going to be a big problem. Places of recreation and relaxation are going to be busier and busier. I'd much sooner go on a quieter day. One day is much like another to me. I'm more interested in working when the weather is good, than a specific day based on some antiquated religious tradition.

I have no interest in working 7 days per week, but I will chose which days I work and which I don't.

• Like 6

I don't agree with this.

As populations rise everyone taking the same day for R&R is going to be a big problem. Places of recreation and relaxation are going to be busier and busier. I'd much sooner go on a quieter day. One day is much like another to me. I'm more interested in working when the weather is good, than a specific day based on some antiquated religious tradition.

I have no interest in working 7 days per week, but I will chose which days I work and which I don't.

Couldn't agree more [emoji122][emoji4]

10 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I don't agree with this.

But what about the people living next door to the client when you rock up with your unimog and chainsaws to take a tree out yards from their front room with their family round for dinner? What choice do they have? To sit there and spend time with their relatives while you rattle their windows all day?

Its selfishness, fook everyone else, as long as my needs are met.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everyone's take on life is different what you enjoy is maybe not what the next man does ! Does this mean his life is crap ? I can't stand someone who thinks they no what I should like or be doing how about do your thing and keep your opinions on other people to your self

That’s the trouble with media platforms / text
The emoji was added as it was said in jest at micks comment.
Obviously it’s ok to comment that someone is crap at business if they work on a Sunday as you personally take no offence at someone saying another member is crap at business.

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

But what about the people living next door to the client when you rock up with your unimog and chainsaws to take a tree out yards from their front room with their family round for dinner? What choice do they have? To sit there and spend time with their relatives while you rattle their windows all day?

Its selfishness, fook everyone else, as long as my needs are met.

I think you're being rather outdated. When I lived in suburbia both my neighbours were retired so, if anything, were more likely to be out on the weekend. Now many people work from home so preople will be about 7 days a week. You could always get the clients to ask, or am I odd in doing that?

Anyway, I've always prefered to work sundays and take a week day off, avoiding the noise of all the mowers, pressure washers etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I think you're being rather outdated. When I lived in suburbia both my neighbours were retired so, if anything, were more likely to be out on the weekend. Now many people work from home so preople will be about 7 days a week. You could always get the clients to ask, or am I odd in doing that?

Anyway, I've always prefered to work sundays and take a week day off, avoiding the noise of all the mowers, pressure washers etc.

Outdated maybe, but I have lived in both scenarios.

In the UK after the ‘94 Sunday trading laws it all changed, England changed, and not for the better.

The continent stayed the same (or at least France where I live) Sunday stayed special, a different day, shop workers didn’t have to work Sunday, tradesmen wouldn’t dream of making unnecessary noise/disturbance, everyone respected downtime one day of the week, doing what you want, with who you want.

It’s better.

You think you gained freedom with a 7 day week, but you lost it, now there’s no respite from work over there.

• Like 3

In theory here in France you should wrap in work between the hours of 1200 to 1330 because lots of folk come home from their work for lunch. That's not always enforced, it depends where you are. Some villages are quite strict, the Mayor's office will have it written in the "rules and regs"  section of the village journal or website. Other villages aren't too concerned. I usually work through lunchtime to get finished and get home, totally forgetting to ask if I should stop. Yesterday, I started at 1000 because I only had a few stumps to grind 110 kms from home, gave me a late start. As I was unloading my kit, the homeowner asked me to grind the stumps at the front of the house as he didn't want the possibility of complaints about noise during the lunch hour. Doing the ones at the rear meant less noise. He'd only been in France 2 years but had been told  when he arrived to be aware of the working hours. It's all about respecting the wishes of the client and being aware of possible complaints by the neighbours. Sunday working here is a bit of a no no.

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I remember my mate who hails from Guernsey originally  saying that it is against the law to cut your grass on a Sunday .

I don't know if it still the same,  but when my wife lived in Germany it was not allowed to hang out your washing on Sundays, cut the grass or generally make a noise or disturb people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

I don't know if it still the same,  but when my wife lived in Germany it was not allowed to hang out your washing on Sundays, cut the grass or generally make a noise or disturb people.

That was only on the Seig Fried line apparently, mother dear, K

• Haha 2