Energy costs

eggsarascal

More efficient use of energy.
Ease the planning rules on solar for domestic properties would help.
When the houses at the back of us were recently built, virtually every light in every house was on for weeks throughout the day and night.

• Like 1

We need to do lots of things. We need more wind, tidal solar plus sorting storage which is tricky but getting there. Improved interconnects between nations to distribute renewables would help no end with dips in production. 10000 square km of PV on the Sahara could power the whole earth if we could distribute it! 

ENERGYPOST.EU

A little over 10 years ago David MacKay drew attention by saying “All the world’s power could be provided by a square...

Nuclear has been kicked down the road by successive governments. Even if we changed our approach today it would take a long long time to get it up and running. Looks like it takes at least 5 years just to build one let alone all the planning, appeals amendments etc. By the time they are built we could have a massive amounts of renewables online. On the upside this current massive price hike will make so many renewables profitable and the market may take over. 

The other thing thats not very glamorous but can make a huge difference is lowering our energy demand in the first place. Improving home insulation can be done quickly and will save a fortune in the long run.

• Like 4

I think that the way in which we use energy in this country, and the world is just unsustainable full stop. By and large, houses in this country are poorly insulated and run on non renewable fuels, whilst people have hundreds of gadgets and consumables that draw on supply’s. I think nuclear is unfortunately the cleanest way to supply it, but I think the changes really need to come from the public consciously reducing their usage

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

How are we going to sort it then, People's bills are doubling and more?

Short-term is a problem I agree.  And those who most need to insulate their properties are undoubtedly those least able to do so, either because they're in rented or they simply can't afford it. There are some who could simply put on more clothes and move around a bit!

15 minutes ago, nepia said:

Short-term is a problem I agree.  And those who most need to insulate their properties are undoubtedly those least able to do so, either because they're in rented or they simply can't afford it. There are some who could simply put on more clothes and move around a bit!

I was with you all the way until that last part of the sentence.

Edited by eggsarascal