Evil Hawthorn

PatrickFirwood

23 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Get them a fair bit with hedgelaying,sometimes its better to make a cut(with pocket knife)to get it out,cos the cut will heal quicker than leaving the thorn in and waiting

I'd love to buy or build a scalpel with an adjustable depth gauge. Something spring loaded would be nice. Set the depth of cut, place over splinter, close eyes and exhale, press button. 

• Like 2

I had a huge thorn go under my finger nail and snap off a couple of years back. I could only see a faint shadow of the thorn it was in really deep.

Tried cutting the nail as far back as I could to get it out - no luck with that and decided it would work it’s way out given time.

Next day I couldn’t put any pressure on that finger and it was swollen and red.

Decided the best course of action was to squeeze the finger as hard as I could after I’d soaked it in hot salty water. Many expletives were uttered, but after a load of pus came out, the thorn followed - it hurt like hell, but was much better the second it came out and healed very quickly!

• Like 6