Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

The forest industry just doesn't have the costs that we have. Grant funding is minimal to non-existent, as far as I'm aware. 

Birch grows like a weed here, truly. That's what we're picking out of our paths behind the house. It's all mechanically harvestable, and the contractors here are very productive. Birch firewood at roadside is only about £28-30/cubic metre. So raw materials for a split cube if you produce it yourself are about £15. 

Then, given that it's super straight, it processes easily, and you add £20-30 a cube by running it through a processor. You're only offering collection, so no delivery costs. 

Everyone has masses of space so storage costs aren't a factor and it's very easy to dry as the climate is extremely hot and dry in summer. 

I know I could do a couple of cube an hour through a very modest processor without breaking a sweat. £40-60/hr doesn't seem so bad.....

• Like 7

16 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Im joking of course. 

This is a fairly large operation that sold out last winter and cannot keep up with demand. They're one of many. Saying that they are very cheap as well. 2000SEK for 2m3 of softwood. 2500SEK for Birch, like Norway Birch is the firewood of choice.

I work with a few Swedish lads and also a few who keep a cabin over there.

STORSVEDENVED.SE

Köp schysst ved utan mellanhänder. Räkna ut pris på vår hemsida och beställ direkt hem till din dörr. Klimatsmart hemleverans och fri frakt.

186080034_1954902248009463_2119726553297220140_n.jpg

They are selling from 476 SEK/loose m3 (£37.77/m3 loose) unseasoned firewood delivered in 6 to 120 m3 loads (presumably the headline price is for 120m3 load). Price for 2m3 large sacks of mixed species, mixed lengths, variable moisture content and variable split dia from 580 SEK/m3 loose (£46/m3 loose). 40l sacks (probably 46 x 70cm) of 30cm long seasoned birch from 88 SEK/sack (£6.99/sack)based on 42 sacks per pallet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

They are selling from 476 SEK/loose m3 (£37.77/m3 loose) unseasoned firewood delivered in 6 to 120 m3 loads (presumably the headline price is for 120m3 load). Price for 2m3 large sacks of mixed species, mixed lengths, variable moisture content and variable split dia from 580 SEK/m3 loose (£46/m3 loose). 40l sacks (probably 46 x 70cm) of 30cm long seasoned birch from 88 SEK/sack (£6.99/sack)based on 42 sacks per pallet.

I never looked at unseasoned and mixed. The process for seasoned in 2m3 loads delivered where as I stated earlier. 

14 hours ago, Big J said:

The forest industry just doesn't have the costs that we have. Grant funding is minimal to non-existent, as far as I'm aware. 

Birch grows like a weed here, truly. That's what we're picking out of our paths behind the house. It's all mechanically harvestable, and the contractors here are very productive. Birch firewood at roadside is only about £28-30/cubic metre. So raw materials for a split cube if you produce it yourself are about £15. 

Then, given that it's super straight, it processes easily, and you add £20-30 a cube by running it through a processor. You're only offering collection, so no delivery costs. 

Everyone has masses of space so storage costs aren't a factor and it's very easy to dry as the climate is extremely hot and dry in summer. 

I know I could do a couple of cube an hour through a very modest processor without breaking a sweat. £40-60/hr doesn't seem so bad.....

I dont know about others but there seems to be masses of time eaten by the periphery work. Sure 2 cube an hour on the processor is fine but you have to load the log deck, move and stack the crates, cover the logs, clear the wast, maintain the processor, organise deliveries or in your case collection etc etc. Rarely seem to find time to actually run our processor 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

Russia actually.

Most of the imported wood came from Siberia. Via Germany and then up here.

Places like Byggmax and Coop Bygg get theirs from Lithuania and the like. They are fairly large importers. 

I guess we're both right. :D 

Did you know that almost all firewood available in Norwegian chain stores are imported from Russia and Eastern Europe?

Guess it's the same for others but log sales started way earlier this year. We are delivering like it's the depths of winter. It was busy and the then the new price cap was announced and the next few day orders flooded in. We only have limited supples so are only supplying regulars