Experienced Groundie Rates

Treeezzz

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

Jobs like that paddy is what will make you as a climber i should think.

I thought my hair was going to fall out. Had to put a really light rope over the BT lines and make a drop zone as they all intertwined around the tree 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Harder working yes, but less skilled and less able. I did a sub job on Wednesday for a local company and I had a guy who it was his first day and another one who was relatively new (no idea how long) when I opened the bag of rigging kit it was like opening a bag of alien body parts. The two groundies were awesome personality wise though and really keen to learn but just hadn't been in that situation before. Had to remove an oak over 13 power lines and BT cables. I don't think I have ever been more stressed in my entire life so I 100% agree the groundies are important too. Sadly, in the pay scale that doesn't matter. The groundworker shifting tonnes and sweating his tits off isn't ever going to earn more than the CEO drinking coffee and sending e-mails

DSC_0527~2.JPG

In situation like that i personally just go home🏡, as I prefer calculated risk 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I thought my hair was going to fall out. Had to put a really light rope over the BT lines and make a drop zone as they all intertwined around the tree 😂 

Nice work there mate. Paddy do you know can i put a .325 drive sprocket on a ms 660 as 3/8 one on there at the moment. Got a saw off Rob D yesterday and i have a 28" GB bar unused i wanted to put on there.

Just now, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

In situation like that i personally just go home🏡, as I prefer calculated risk 🤔

Well, I wanted to but I've not let anyone down before so why start now. Gave them a 5 minute crash course in bollard rigging and cracked on. I was up that tree on spikes from 8:30 until 7pm with no breaks or lunch as a lot of it was waiting for ropes to be sent up etc. Everyone has sh** days and that was my sh******. No-one was injured and no lines were damaged though 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is the bar i have and just wondered can i change the drive sprocket from a 3/8 to .325 on a 660. Still green on some inter changing stuff between different saws. I am a chippy so never needed it before but milling a lot now i am finding the need.

IMG_20210514_172921194.thumb.jpg.da97e7d204b3efb1da1b5c1241cd2945.jpgIMG_20210514_172843354.thumb.jpg.caf7726599ef5dbb7de82ef4db9e02ae.jpg

Edited by topchippyles

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

This is the bar i have and just wondered can i change the drive sprocket from a 3/8 to .325 on a 660. Still green on some inter changing stuff between different saws. I am a chippy so never needed it before but milling a lot now i am finding the need.

IMG_20210514_172921194.thumb.jpg.da97e7d204b3efb1da1b5c1241cd2945.jpgIMG_20210514_172843354.thumb.jpg.caf7726599ef5dbb7de82ef4db9e02ae.jpg

I've Pm'd you mate as this thread is already drifting 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, I wanted to but I've not let anyone down before so why start now. Gave them a 5 minute crash course in bollard rigging and cracked on. I was up that tree on spikes from 8:30 until 7pm with no breaks or lunch as a lot of it was waiting for ropes to be sent up etc. Everyone has sh** days and that was my sh******. No-one was injured and no lines were damaged though 🤷‍♂️

Fair play on getting it done Paddy.

I’d be wanting 2 days money for a situation like that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Harder working yes, but less skilled and less able. I did a sub job on Wednesday for a local company and I had a guy who it was his first day and another one who was relatively new (no idea how long) when I opened the bag of rigging kit (x-rings, trex slings, bollards etc) it was like opening a bag of alien body parts. The two groundies were awesome personality wise though and really keen to learn but just hadn't been in that situation before. Had to remove an oak over 13 power lines and BT cables. I don't think I have ever been more stressed in my entire life so I 100% agree the groundies are important too. Sadly, in the pay scale that doesn't matter. The groundworker shifting tonnes and sweating his tits off isn't ever going to earn more than the CEO drinking coffee and sending e-mails

DSC_0527~2.JPG

Nasty job.

True but that won't change until people start to realise what they are worth in this industry. 

If you can't even get £100 a day then you need to move on if possible as I'm sure there are firms out there that would snap you up. 

And where does the money come from to pay the lad his £150-60 team leader money??? This industry doesn't generate that type of money. Customers don't want to pay loads on tree work. It's a fact I've learnt in 20 years in the industry.

2 hours ago, Hodge said:

And where does the money come from to pay the lad his £150-60 team leader money??? This industry doesn't generate that type of money. Customers don't want to pay loads on tree work. It's a fact I've learnt in 20 years in the industry.

I'd wager the people suggesting these rates aren't the ones paying them. 

It's one thing paying a shit hot groundy/team leader £160 as a subby, but nobody is getting that on the books.

• Like 3