Experienced Groundie Rates

Treeezzz

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I don't know where 40% came from above, I also don't know where a construction industry scheme comes into tree work. I'd guess some tree work on construction sites could fall under CIS?

20% is still what a subby climber should be putting aside as still contracting in a sense like a chippy-bricky would to a firm and its only the payment method is different 

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

There's a huge list for not just kit and fuel but phones, travel, meetings, all sorts. My accountant pays for himself about 10x over by the end of the tax year! Even the silly little things like daily allowances for lunch and weird allowances for newspapers and stuff

A phone is still part of your kit paddy same as your truck and work wear clobber 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

Just now, Mr. Squirrel said:

You’ll not be seeing me turn up with all my rigging gear and saws for 200 inc. VAT.  
You’re talking about thousands in kit and 15 years of experience for what, £80 more than the college kids with his cross cutting tickets and no work ethic? Nae chance. 

I guess it's all area dependant and how well you know someone etc.

On a separate note, has there been a massive influx of college kids with shit attitudes recently? That's the third time this week I've heard someone say that.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

You’ll not be seeing me turn up with all my rigging gear and saws for 200 inc. VAT.  
You’re talking about thousands in kit and 15 years of experience for what, £80 more than the college kids with his cross cutting tickets and no work ethic? Nae chance. 

I pay my chippy £200 a day if i need a hand from time to time which i put in the same bracket as a climber. Different tools i know but still thousands of pounds in tools and a van 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

On a separate note, has there been a massive influx of college kids with shit attitudes recently? That's the third time this week I've heard someone say that.

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

I pay my chippy £200 a day if i need a hand from time to time which i put in the same bracket as a climber. Different tools i know but still thousands of pounds in tools and a van 

Man on the ground, sometimes more important, than man on the tree, and possibly more hard working! 

10 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

There's a huge list for not just kit and fuel but phones, travel, meetings, all sorts. My accountant pays for himself about 10x over by the end of the tax year! Even the silly little things like daily allowances for lunch and weird allowances for newspapers and stuff

That's without the other bits like laundry and office space, even living in a truck😂deducted for accommodation when working away from home, how's that work when you live in a truck anyway🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

No student in last 5 years, who lasted more than one day, usually till lunch, smartphones is a big issue, crap diet and no stamina, and others work etiquette problems😂

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

That's without the other bits like laundry and office space, even living in a truck😂deducted for accommodation when working away from home, how's that work when you live in a truck anyway🤷‍♂️

Not sure you can claim for a mars bar in your under pants (laundry) after a few to many eggs 🤣

26 minutes ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Man on the ground, sometimes more important, than man on the tree, and possibly more hard working! 

Harder working yes, but less skilled and less able. I did a sub job on Wednesday for a local company and I had a guy who it was his first day and another one who was relatively new (no idea how long) when I opened the bag of rigging kit (x-rings, trex slings, bollards etc) it was like opening a bag of alien body parts. The two groundies were awesome personality wise though and really keen to learn but just hadn't been in that situation before. Had to remove an oak over 13 power lines and BT cables. I don't think I have ever been more stressed in my entire life so I 100% agree the groundies are important too. Sadly, in the pay scale that doesn't matter. The groundworker shifting tonnes and sweating his tits off isn't ever going to earn more than the CEO drinking coffee and sending e-mails

DSC_0527~2.JPG

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Harder working yes, but less skilled and less able. I did a sub job on Wednesday for a local company and I had a guy who it was his first day and another one who was relatively new (no idea how long) when I opened the bag of rigging kit it was like opening a bag of alien body parts. The two groundies were awesome personality wise though and really keen to learn but just hadn't been in that situation before. Had to remove an oak over 13 power lines and BT cables. I don't think I have ever been more stressed in my entire life so I 100% agree the groundies are important too. Sadly, in the pay scale that doesn't matter. The groundworker shifting tonnes and sweating his tits off isn't ever going to earn more than the CEO drinking coffee and sending e-mails

DSC_0527~2.JPG

Jobs like that paddy is what will make you as a climber i should think.

• Like 1