Shipping container security

Paddy1000111

Hi Everyone, 

I'm thinking of getting a shipping container to put the chipper in as using the garage owned by the people across the road isn't the most convenient and I feel bad making a noise in the morning moving things about. I have land but it's away from home (only a mile) so I was going to get a shipping container. Apart from the lock boxes so you can't access the padlock has anyone got any security advice? I've been looking at a PIR system that has a sim in it so it can call if it notices any movement but the hinges look like a weak point?

25 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm thinking of getting a shipping container to put the chipper in as using the garage owned by the people across the road isn't the most convenient and I feel bad making a noise in the morning moving things about. I have land but it's away from home (only a mile) so I was going to get a shipping container. Apart from the lock boxes so you can't access the padlock has anyone got any security advice? I've been looking at a PIR system that has a sim in it so it can call if it notices any movement but the hinges look like a weak point?

Had my saws go out of mine last September,popped all the locks off,looks like they froze em somehow to make easier to cut,there seemed to be a white ring round where each lock was

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Had my saws go out of mine last September,popped all the locks off,looks like they froze em somehow to make easier to cut,there seemed to be a white ring round where each lock was

Oxy-acetylene? I only want it for a chipper and then some bee hive parts so nothing easy to chuck in a van and go. The chipper is gps/vhf tracked anyway.  My hope was to put a lock box on so the padlock isn't easily cut and then fit the PIR so I get an alarm when the doors are opened. If I have a trailer hitch lock or maybe a motorbike chain lock so I can chain it to the container my hopes are it gives me enough time to get there as it's a roughly 3 minute drive and it's a one way road so they would either meet me or I know where they went. 

• Like 2

There are people who live next door and it will be about 10ft from their house so anything that makes too much noise would be obvious to them. I once put a mast ontop of one of the little storage bits and had complaints the next day that the wire was tapping on the tin roof so they have owl like hearing 😂

The alarm I found rings a phone and sends a text immediately when it goes off which is all that matters really. So far I've only had one break in over 20 years there and I have chainsaws, big honda tillers and all sorts sat in those sheds. How did they break into yours @rookery

My hope is that the chipper being secured, locked in and tracked should mean it's pretty unstealable. I'd never leave carry able items in there though. Things go into a van and disappear far too easily! 

8 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Anyone with the right tools will get in within a minute.
emoji22.png

Sadly I feel it's the same with any barn etc too. My farmer friends have had tractor mount tillers etc stolen and they dissapear of the face of the earth. I was hoping that by adding one or two of these it would at least extend the process/time. This just leaves the hinges really! Lockbox.jpg.e6add210bdac91cbfb9ebaa927534d5c.jpg