The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody seen the new m250 yet as could be just the thing for a contract we have picked up which on occasions involves extra travel outside our normal comfort zone so 1 of those in a trailer behind landy mewp is a all in 1 unit for doing these pruning, shaping and clearing lights nd camera's jobs.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Anybody seen the new m250 yet as could be just the thing for a contract we have picked up which on occasions involves extra travel outside our normal comfort zone so 1 of those in a trailer behind landy mewp is a all in 1 unit for doing these pruning, shaping and clearing lights nd camera's jobs.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

I do something similar with our m200 for basal pruning to 5 metres. Not sure about the m250 but two guys can lift our in and our of a trailer etc which makes it very flexible. I can put it on our plant trailer at the head of the digger or it can sit in the bed of the transit tipper for very restrictive jobs.

I found that the m200 is the perfect height for a wheelie bin as well. We've done a few jobs down long tight alleys and you can chip into the bin then walk back to the main vehicle.

Just had this delivered today, a Venom 13hp Chipper from Rock Machinery.

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8380-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8381-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8382-ifor-williams-lm85-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

13hp Briggs & Stratton 420cc engine, electric and pull start (battery supplied) max branch diameter 85mm approx, the usual chipper unit with 2 double sided blades and a single fixed anvil. Dimension taken from their ebay listing are

Max. length: 231 cm

Max. height: 150 cm

Max. width: 80 cm

Weight: 171.5 kgs

The drawbar and handle are removable and it'll just fit through the side door of my garage. I gave it a try out today on Scots Pine brash from a job this week and it seems to work fine. It doesn't like small cuttings as the don't drop down to the rotor so I started saving some long bushy branches to help clear it.

It definitely cuts down the amount of work getting rid of brash, I had to take everything from the site, hand loaded and unloaded to and from the trailer which is pretty labour intensive. I still have a pile of Ash and Sycamore brash to chip so I curious to see how it manages.

So far I'm very pleased with it, I had expected it to feel a bit lightweight but the hopper and chute are at a guess 1.5mm - 2mm and the chipper housing and frame are probably 3mm-4mm so it feels pretty durable to me. I haven't measured it so will update as and when.

All in cost including delivery to N.I. was £1644 so can't complain.

Just had this delivered today, a Venom 13hp Chipper from Rock Machinery.

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8380-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8381-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

r-mac-albums-equipment-picture8382-ifor-williams-lm85-rock-machinery-venom-13hp-chipper.jpg

13hp Briggs & Stratton 420cc engine, electric and pull start (battery supplied) max branch diameter 85mm approx, the usual chipper unit with 2 double sided blades and a single fixed anvil. Dimension taken from their ebay listing are

Max. length: 231 cm

Max. height: 150 cm

Max. width: 80 cm

Weight: 171.5 kgs

The drawbar and handle are removable and it'll just fit through the side door of my garage. I gave it a try out today on Scots Pine brash from a job this week and it seems to work fine. It doesn't like small cuttings as the don't drop down to the rotor so I started saving some long bushy branches to help clear it.

It definitely cuts down the amount of work getting rid of brash, I had to take everything from the site, hand loaded and unloaded to and from the trailer which is pretty labour intensive. I still have a pile of Ash and Sycamore brash to chip so I curious to see how it manages.

So far I'm very pleased with it, I had expected it to feel a bit lightweight but the hopper and chute are at a guess 1.5mm - 2mm and the chipper housing and frame are probably 3mm-4mm so it feels pretty durable to me. I haven't measured it so will update as and when.

All in cost including delivery to N.I. was £1644 so can't complain.

Great little chipper that's available under a dozen brand names , they hate Spruce and dead Conifers with a passion otherwise excellent. Make sure hopper is clean before switching off or you will pull your arm out of its socket next time you try starting it , to much green without any wood and it will block up .

Ste

I have one of these under a different brand for the garden and have chucked loads through it up to about 4", for the money I think they are brilliant. Not sure how they would stand up used commercially but I could not justify 3 or 4 grand for something to use occasionally.

Chris

I was initially going for an MDL 15hp Chipper , a bit cheaper and had the delivery price from them last Friday but didn't get the e-mail until after work and when I phoned on Monday the last one had been sold. Had to pay a bit more for the Venom.

Strangely the MDL and Venom were the only 2 I came across that had the engine under the hopper/chute rather than sitting between the hooper and chute like the Greenmech CS100 etc.

I noticed it didn't like too much small, light stuff, predictably by the time you're down to the rubbish there are no decent branches left to carry the rest through, I learned very quicky to save some nice branches :biggrin:

Out of curiosity what is it that they don't like about spruce? too resinous?

I have one of these under a different brand for the garden and have chucked loads through it up to about 4", for the money I think they are brilliant. Not sure how they would stand up used commercially but I could not justify 3 or 4 grand for something to use occasionally.

Chris

I couldn't justify 3-4K either as I'm just getting started and the trailer was purchased on Tuesday. I could have gone for a used chipper but getting a 2nd hand anything in N.I. is nigh on impossible. I'm intending using it commercially but as a sole trader it isn't going to be in daily use so should be ok.

In the end the engine should be fine and the chipper unit is basically 2 blades on a rotor driven by V belts and a fixed anvil, assuming the rotor is balanced and it doesn't shake itself to bits there's only the bearings which I suppose I could replace with quality ones before the current ones fall apart.

If it falls apart C'est La Vie. :001_cool: