Oak tree for sale/fell

Alex1095

I disagree. 

I fail to see how the oak tree is negatively affecting the house. I'd bet that it's a stand out amentity feature on the road, and that the neighbours would be very sad to see it go. It has ecological value too, and will help with solar shading in summer. 

It would be no more expensive to perform a well considered and sympathetic reduction which would bring it down to a more appropriate size for it's setting, whilst maintaining the amenity and ecological value of the Oak tree. 

The last thing a modern housing estate needs is a reduction in the number of mature trees.

I don't believe you would achieve a great deal by carrying out a reduction and the canopy has been lifted as far as you can. It depends what the customer is trying to achieve, which we don't know, so we are pretty much guessing.
The neighbours may enjoy a colourful beautifully scented flower bed in my front garden, yet i want to grow some veg or put it to grass so my kids can play footy, should i not be allowed because others enjoy my flower bed.

I do agrre that we should not cut down mature trees like this one without good reason, but at the end of the day it is up to the owner.
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 08:47, roseyweb said:

750 seems way to cheap

id like to think I’d have that down by 3pm but there’s some chip to shift.

if I rucked up with lorry chipper 3 man gang I’d be pricing at 1,200 if I liked the client 1,500 is what I’d aim for and the vat 

stump grind 300

£750 is about standard for a little transit domestic day 

but then there are plenty near me who daddy bought all there kit and there just working for pocket money so would do it for the Instagram likes 

Good post that. 

Too many people seem to be thinking along the lines of “how low can I go to get the job” rather than “what is the VALUE of this task to the customer.”

It ‘could’ be smashed out in a day for 750, if everyone is happy being on the bones of their ass and so long as nothing goes wrong. 

A minor mishap, mechanical breakdown, vehicle problem, injury and it’d soon turn into a negative profit / potential cost scenario. 

£1200 would be a reflective price but if Ava GoHarry has slipped in with £750 cash on the back of a fag packet and the tree owner is more interested in £s than professionalism   It’s not even worth the time or effort to provide comprehensive advice / quote. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Good post that. 

Too many people seem to be thinking along the lines of “how low can I go to get the job” rather than “what is the VALUE of this task to the customer.”

It ‘could’ be smashed out in a day for 750, if everyone is happy being on the bones of their ass and so long as nothing goes wrong. 

A minor mishap, mechanical breakdown, vehicle problem, injury and it’d soon turn into a negative profit / potential cost scenario. 

£1200 would be a reflective price but if Ava GoHarry has slipped in with £750 cash on the back of a fag packet and the tree owner is more interested in £s than professionalism   It’s not even worth the time or effort to provide comprehensive advice / quote. 

So let me get this right if everything runs well with no mishaps £750 is doable. A breakdown or something goes wrong which is not the customers fault then is £1200-1500. Am i missing something here 🙄 

• Haha 1

So let me get this right if everything runs well with no mishaps £750 is doable. A breakdown or something goes wrong which is not the customers fault then is £1200-1500. Am i missing something here [emoji849] 

Yeah overheads.
Machines and equipment break.
Trees don’t always do what you want them to do.
Sometimes they’re hollow or badly weakened.
Can’t always tell before cutting.
Why do a job that might cost you more than the job?
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Good post that. 

Spot on!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've quoted a sensible price of say £1100+VAT, the customer is happy and ask us to carry out the job. Then some clown turns up and quotes £600. Obviously the punter bites their hand off and cancels us. No problem, but what fools the other Co are. The customer and I have already agreed the job is worth £1100+VAT, so all that's happened is the customers has made a huge saving and the other Co is working for peanuts.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yeah overheads.
Machines and equipment break.
Trees don’t always do what you want them to do.
Sometimes they’re hollow or badly weakened.
Can’t always tell before cutting.
Why do a job that might cost you more than the job?
emoji106.png

Fair point but you cannot price jobs thinking my saw is going to seize or van has a flat tyre scenario. If i price a stairs/cut roof ect and my planer packs up that has no baring on the customer. You maintain your equipment to prevent breakdowns but things go wrong yes. Each job is priced accordingly and what is quoted by one firm is never going to be the same quoted by another. 

Spot on!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've quoted a sensible price of say £1100+VAT, the customer is happy and ask us to carry out the job. Then some clown turns up and quotes £600. Obviously the punter bites their hand off and cancels us. No problem, but what fools the other Co are. The customer and I have already agreed the job is worth £1100+VAT, so all that's happened is the customers has made a huge saving and the other Co is working for peanuts.

Also with your gear that you have invested in and years of experience you could probably get two to three times the amount done in a day.
I won’t do day rates any more just to cover labour its mental and you can’t replace or buy anything to make a job easier if you carry on like that.
  • Like 4

Fair point but you cannot price jobs thinking my saw is going to seize or van has a flat tyre scenario. If i price a stairs/cut roof ect and my planer packs up that has no baring on the customer. You maintain your equipment to prevent breakdowns but things go wrong yes. Each job is priced accordingly and what is quoted by one firm is never going to be the same quoted by another. 

Contingency is the word I’m looking for.
The more difficult/dangerous/potentially expensive damage etc
The bigger my contingency.
Yes engines go pop etc.
That’s why we all carry multiple saws.
Own multiple vehicles,trailers etc.
You can’t just leave that tree half cut whilst you take your saw to a dealer for a few days.
But that’s only the long term view....
[emoji106]
  • Like 1