Felling cuts in knotty wood?

DickDancer7

3 minutes ago, DickDancer7 said:

Chris, thats a screenshot from a youtube vid, happened to be relevent to the topic, u can see how The hinge broke prematurely due to the branch attachment, example of my paranoi i guess? Also idk what a gob or dog tooth back cut is, entered the google worm hole for a few, left w only frustration.

kriss, im sorry but im having a hard time putting that image together. Also a huge fan of the improvising, and creating the overpriced garbage marketed in society. Golf club bags sound bada$$, i use second hand semi ridged hard bags w the handle, wheels n such for a lot of rope and gear. Also like shitty home made scabbards vs the rattle can plastic silky, or heavy leather, i like weaver, idk why ‘mr weaver’ thinks its cool to put brass rivets where your cutting edge has traffic, and is stored.

paddy! I guess i didnt explain very well.

the house was the original favor, after the branches getting hacked, the stem still heads that way, then dog legs up at maybe 30’. It could be fell as a whole assuming the wood is sound, idt setting back is possible. So i guess my tag

or pull(forget the actuall meanings), would maybe be mostly perpendicular to the intended lay, and would end up being behind the tree during felling. Which probably isnt ideal. I guess my fear is the hinge tearing horizontally, twisting, failing in some way under the weight, due to all the knots. If it did, it could obliterate the house, so a ‘guy’ so to speak? 

Im feeling you on the topping vs home smashing, guess im a little overwhelmed to top such a bigass tree, being it would be the 2nd tree ive ever topped. First being a hand saw....

i was estimating the stem weight around 50k, im sure thats not accurate. Is there an app, site, cheat sheet, etc for est tree weights thats a standard?

lol tree is a monster, if i end up slabbing it down, at some point id imagine id have to rip cut the spar vertically just to move things. Salami cuts sound cool, i dont like the idea of wasting wood tho. Even w shorter slant cuts, maybe impossible to split those rounds up. I could use gerrys ‘steel rod’ trick....

I can do puns too, and i wanna ‘fit in.’ 

Just picked up on something here " you don't know what a gob is " ?  Are you taking the piss or is this true ?  If its true you need to get someone in who knows what they are doing . Forgive me if I have got this wrong .

• Like 1

A humbolt is basically an upside-down wedge insted of a normal one, it stops premature breakage of the hinge. A dog tooth is where you plunge cut in say th centre of the tree, cut to your desired hinge width the back cut away from the hinge leaving a portion of the tree intact, say 15/20%. You then wedge the hell out of the tree (sledge hammer) then when ready finish cut with a 45 degree cut, three tree will break away and fall or you keep driving the wedges until it goes. 

Google images of humbolt and dogtooth, with the above description you will get the idea. 

28 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Just picked up on something here " you don't know what a gob is " ?  Are you taking the piss or is this true ?  If its true you need to get someone in who knows what they are doing . Forgive me if I have got this wrong .

Gob is a UK term Stubby. The OP is American I believe, judging by the fact that the tree is near his 'buddy's' home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Basically get a bit of 6mm angle a metre long and have 6 holes equally burnt or bored out each side then get a bit of 12mm black round bar n cut the spikes (  1000mm or so, bend the ends round so you can knock them out again) bit of same round bar bent to a 'U'   welded on the  end of the angle.     Get old golf clubs bag from charity shop.  DONE.   k

I bought one for 60  quid delivered from Paddocks for use with the Eder winch. it easily holds 1tonne in our sandy soil. It's two flat bars with 4 5/8" clearance holes  and 6 2' 5/8 pegs with an eye welded on, all plated. Just set it out as a Vee with a shackle at the apex and hammer the pegs in. Unfortunately it is not listed now.

pm732_1.jpg

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1