Felling cuts in knotty wood?

DickDancer7

Just You make sure you do a vid so we can see you in all your glory 

I looked at the first pics and thought just about get a humbolt  in the lower front part , make sure there’s no Dutchmen and as soon as you can get wedges in the back cut  start banging them in. You may need to double them up. And as others say if you have a tag line halfway up or a little more you have a backup if the wedges don’t work.. if you need some extra pulling force you could rig a simple 2 to 1 . Or just use a truck. Remember the wedges will stop it sitting back.

look fwd to the vid 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I bought one for 60  quid delivered from Paddocks for use with the Eder winch. it easily holds 1tonne in our sandy soil. It's two flat bars with 4 5/8" clearance holes  and 6 2' 5/8 pegs with an eye welded on, all plated. Just set it out as a Vee with a shackle at the apex and hammer the pegs in. Unfortunately it is not listed now.

pm732_1.jpg

Used to find them all over MoD auctions, apparently squadies too thick to use them. But simplest earth anchor you can make. K

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys for all the info. Steph, chris, im likin the confidence boost on that knotty wood. Paddy, i like that youre real.

Yeah i dont have shit experience for big wood, decent for small/med. my recources for ‘qualified’ peeps have been limited, also found theres a lot of know it all experienced hill dogs out here(humboldt), been doing it wrong their whole life, and dont care about the house, and would prob love to see it detonate. 

Failed to find a school, so Ive been studying gerrys bible, watching his series, read jeffs books, tcia rigging, and some other stuff.(idk how peeps do this without) Not so much online as ive just acuired my recep booster(except Reg is a F’ing G, and August also).

So yes, im underqualified.

Yeah i accepted the job cause the tree is a unicorn, feel like i wont get many opportunites to work on something so cool. Plus it was an 8k quote by the locals, and my buddy was gonna kill himself trying. I need experience, gotta get it somewhere.

Its pretty cool, a lot of those branches were 40+’ long, up to 1’ diam, most over the dwelling, or too close to dump.(the tree is about 35’ from the house as the crow flies, but downhill further, so its a good funnel to send wood into the house) 

Started w a high set climb line, limb walked and tipped, nat crotch rigged, also false crotch rigged, and vsl for the top most portion, buying equip as needed, and studying per questioning circumstances.  Ive made a few scary mistakes scary for the house more so, considering im always scared. 

would be nice to have someone, but i dont. Im still alive, knock on wood, i plan on Nevil having a safe home, and living To experience the pride and relief, plus some ‘skrilla’.

Anyway ive made it to what I thought would be one of the safer cuts, the ‘finale’, got creeped out by the wood fiber, feel like scrapping plan A. All they teach in text is to use straight uninterrupted wood fiber, couldnt find anything about naughty girls. With solid wood, no prob, i just dont have x ray vis, or experience, or balls. Work in progress.

tree is amazing, looks like ill need a 32’ bar even at 100’. Definitely has helped w anxiety in other trees, its a monster. 

Dan, plan A was a guy, looks like id have to route the line, or clear a small forest, at which point i was thinking Stubbs idea of going all ‘Reg’ on it, maybe the safer, easier route.

Also paddy, Nevil has a ms880 w a 6’ bar, I was originally gonna bind above the humboldt cut w a chain, and maybe use the excess chain to loosely tether the massive corpse to a nearby stump, so as to keep the tree from sliding towards the target in the case that somehow happened. I was thinking maybe 30% depth placement for the beefy hinge(depending on what i find in there), and perhaps a wider face, try and keep her on the stump. 

Steph, ill try and find and upload a better pic, that ones trash.

• Like 1