Bought a Panther Mill and Intersect

arboriculturist

True - still hermetically sealed in the packaging - I thought that post would provoke a response - got that from the horses mouth ! - bearing in mind not everyone has your sharpening skills [emoji857]

If you don’t try it you won’t know.
A lot is personal preference.
I know an old boy who mills holding the front of the mill and walks backwards down the side of log.
It works, he’s happy.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

If you don’t try it you won’t know.
A lot is personal preference.
I know an old boy who mills holding the front of the mill and walks backwards down the side of log.
It works, he’s happy.
emoji106.png

All just sitting there in boxes, sealed up and waiting to see the light of day? Likely to be December before the packing comes off.

I've had a small piece of Yew stored for about 10 years and I was planning for it to be one of the 1st sticks to mill and turn it into something a bit special !

All just sitting there in boxes, sealed up and waiting to see the light of day[emoji55] Likely to be December before the packing comes off.
I've had a small piece of Yew stored for about 10 years and I was planning for it to be one of the 1st sticks to mill and turn it into something a bit special !

Mill some cheap stuff first til you get the hang of it.
Also aligning and calibrating might take a while.
[emoji106]

3 hours ago, AJStrees said:

So does that mean the winch is useful or not worth spending the money on it? 

Night and day difference in my opinion. Winch every time, for me I’ve found I can get a better finish, quicker  cut and at the end of the day far less back pain. RH is 100% right when he says practice on rough timber etc to begin with. 

• Like 3

Depends what you want to do.
I personally don’t like winches on Alaskan type mills, much prefer actual feedback and hands on control.
However on a logosol sawmill I think they are genius.
There are more than one way of setting a winch for milling, see will malloff’s book for examples.
I think it’s still early days in mill design, and winches could be used in better ways.
[emoji106]

Ok good to hear it. Will check out that book you mention.

Do you use a grinder for sharpening or by hand?

Hi I have a winch and its still in the box used it once and like Saul says I rather have the feel of the mill going through the log as its not always full revs sometimes you need to go easy to get round a lump in the log or you hit a hard bit  one thing try and get a way to easily raise the log so as you come past say the middle point you are not on your knees killing your back I got an old doctors bench with a hydrolic jack in it its a bit of a faf to get the log onto it but saved my back its up for free if anyone wants it as now I have the hm130 I dont do much alaskan milling saying that I have a big willow to do ,its going for cello backs .

Cheers Mark

• Like 3

Of course those that like to use a Winch are also allowed to use common sense and not use the winch 100% of the time.

If you come to a lump when using a winch you are allowed to stop using the winch, back off on the revs and get past the lump then go back to using the winch. Same goes for the start and end of the log.

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Love a good winch, and yes I utilise it as and when I need to start or finish and can apply steady pressure or less or more as needed. Listening to the note of the saw soon let's you know whata going on. Unless you have some radio muffs!

And agree about the board smoothness. A friend who had done alot of milling in the past was very surprised by the finish i was attaining. That I also touched in my video a while back that I posted.

I have since made design variations, so may do another!

Edited by Big Beech
  • Like 2