Bought a Panther Mill and Intersect

arboriculturist

On 14/11/2020 at 18:11, Rough Hewn said:

I think lo pro is great for smaller saws and bars.
But putting .325 chain on an 84” bar pulled by 120cc torque.... I’m not testing that ?emoji106.png
However I’m seriously considering going lo pro for the logosol F2+ as I usually run either 20” or 25” on a 661.

.404 is like a tank. You can cut through nails and screws and it still keep going.
It blunts much slower and I find it easier to sharpen.
Also oregon only make hyperskip in .404
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

The Lo Pro chain I have is 3/8" ?

34 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

On the Panther mill did it come with the small winch to fit to the frame? Have you used the winch and does it make lighter work of the milling? I bought a mill and wondered if getting the winch is useful or not.

Still in the packing - but yes, winch included. 

I think you could safely say that milling large timber 'without' a winch - would be like using a chainsaw with the chain fitted the wrong way round - way more difficult to make progress ?

Still in the packing - but yes, winch included. 

I think you could safely say that milling large timber 'without' a winch - would be like using a chainsaw with the chain fitted the wrong way round - way more difficult to make progress [emoji52]

Absolute bollocks pal.
You haven’t even gotten your winch out the packing.
And you can safely say.....
???
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Absolute bollocks pal.
You haven’t even gotten your winch out the packing.
And you can safely say.....
???

True - still hermetically sealed in the packaging - I thought that post would provoke a response - got that from the horses mouth ! - bearing in mind not everyone has your sharpening skills ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Thanks. What sort of size milling do you do?

I sold my Alaskan Milling set up to quickly fund a Classic Car purchase that came outta the blue. 

But I had an 088 and a 48” Chilaskan. 

I have a Mobile Bandsaw I use for my own stuff and doing a few days here and there for customers.

I’ll most likely buy a Panther Mill and a new saw in the New Year. I’ve had a lot of requests for Slabbing Logs bigger than my Mill can handle, so should pay for itself quite fast. It’s just finding the time.

• Like 1

So does that mean the winch is useful or not worth spending the money on it? 

Depends what you want to do.
I personally don’t like winches on Alaskan type mills, much prefer actual feedback and hands on control.
However on a logosol sawmill I think they are genius.
There are more than one way of setting a winch for milling, see will malloff’s book for examples.
I think it’s still early days in mill design, and winches could be used in better ways.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1