Best waterproof jacket

Steve Bullman

I’ve just gone down this path and started a similar thread on here a few weeks ago (for both climbing and groundwork in our case) which had some good replies and is worth looking at (I don’t know how to link it but am confident you’ll know how to find it Steve!...). If money is no object then Swazi gear from New Zealand looks amazing. 

I put the question to my preferred supplier and their list of recommendations is below - I then gave the lads the choice and we’ve gone for the Harkie Innovation smock. It is early days but they seem great quality, very waterproof and hard wearing. Pretty warm though (although there is a sawdust skirt inside which is apparently removable that may help let some heat out). 

Arbortec Breathedry Smock- very popular, lightweight, comfortable to wear, aimed at climbers – needs treating with NikWax now and again.

Stein X25 Exo jacket Fairly new- Designed for the network rail contract, better than the last Stein jacket, added comfort features.

Harkie Innovation II smock, fairly robust fabric, little heavier than others, not a bad shout if you are prone to ripping your jackets.

Lyngsoe Hi Viz Jacket – Strong fabric, waterproof, probably not ideal for climbing as a little bulky, well priced.

SIP Keiu jacket – Comfy, breathable, not too heavy – but jacket is a zip style, and the hood is it a bit weird when rolled in and tucked out the way.

SIOEN Mildura rain jacket – not in our current stock but we can order it in pretty quickly and has great word of mouth feedback for de veg crews on NWR contracts, looking at around £130ex.

Pfanner nanosheild rain jacket, pretty much goretex but they use Sympatex– brilliant quality, not overly heavy, but need to take out a mortgage though! The hi viz orange one is £165ex vat each.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Bit out of touch with things, but looking for a waterproof jacket for my son. Will be used for groundwork only, and just be high vis. What’s the best one at the moment?

I've bought a pulsar rail jacket for round £50. After a month its holding up well 

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve just gone down this path and started a similar thread on here a few weeks ago (for both climbing and groundwork in our case) which had some good replies and is worth looking at (I don’t know how to link it but am confident you’ll know how to find it Steve!...). If money is no object then Swazi gear from New Zealand looks amazing. 

I put the question to my preferred supplier and their list of recommendations is below - I then gave the lads the choice and we’ve gone for the Harkie Innovation smock. It is early days but they seem great quality, very waterproof and hard wearing. Pretty warm though (although there is a sawdust skirt inside which is apparently removable that may help let some heat out). 

Arbortec Breathedry Smock- very popular, lightweight, comfortable to wear, aimed at climbers – needs treating with NikWax now and again.

Stein X25 Exo jacket Fairly new- Designed for the network rail contract, better than the last Stein jacket, added comfort features.

Harkie Innovation II smock, fairly robust fabric, little heavier than others, not a bad shout if you are prone to ripping your jackets.

Lyngsoe Hi Viz Jacket – Strong fabric, waterproof, probably not ideal for climbing as a little bulky, well priced.

SIP Keiu jacket – Comfy, breathable, not too heavy – but jacket is a zip style, and the hood is it a bit weird when rolled in and tucked out the way.

SIOEN Mildura rain jacket – not in our current stock but we can order it in pretty quickly and has great word of mouth feedback for de veg crews on NWR contracts, looking at around £130ex.

Pfanner nanosheild rain jacket, pretty much goretex but they use Sympatex– brilliant quality, not overly heavy, but need to take out a mortgage though! The hi viz orange one is £165ex vat each.

Pretty exhaustive answer, thanks. The nanoshield does look good. I have the cut and climb myself and wouldn't want to buy anything lesser than that. Think the Harkie might be too warm for sure. Will look at the others.