Stihl 462 or 500i??

drinksloe

Alright

Just as title suggests wot do folk recommend??

I did search for it but surprisingly nothing came up.

It's for a felling saw for forestry so be running a 20"bar occasionally bigger, but manly oversized trees so 3ft+ butts

I know everyone seems to rave about the 500.

I phoned up a local company  thinking was going to price a 462 and got a price for 500 too  just for noiseyness, but thought it would be too expensive.

Only 100 quid dearer.

Never really into new models or gimmicks just want a saw to work as it should but for only 100 quid more am I daft not to get the 500?

I've finally got round to trying one(500i). And can't rate them enough. Granted I am working in a shop selling them now, so you might not believe me when I say it's the better saw, but is. So far we've had 1 come back for repair and that was because it was run over 

That's all anyone says about the 500 that and it drinks some juice in a day.

From wot I've heard the 462 is no slouch either.

At moment still running husky 372s as felling saw, got 1 off the last ones, still going well but it's mibbee time it became a back up saw now out off warranty.

Does anyone think 462 will have s longer lifespan or nicer to work?

A local Stihl agent reckons Stihl saws usually have more torque in mid ranges and huskys all top end flat out power.

But he reckons the 500 is all flat out power

Hi ya used both saws but i have had more time on the 500i, i was cutting some Sycamore with a 500 a few wk ago saw has 25" bar and timber would be 40"+ the 500 does get through some fuel i used best part of 5ltrs in about 2hrs, the saw is light and is considerably noticable compared to the weight of my 461s,the saw has loads of power in the top end and is very quick to get there, so to sum it up it would be a good saw for what you need but as i do what you do i would think twice due to the fuel consumption, i think you would have to take 2 combi cans with you along with every thing else,

The 462 i have used a bit but not as much as the above, again the saw is very light compared to the older models, its quick on the throttle response and seems to have bags of power, i have used 2 of these 1 with a 25" bar and the other with a 20" bar this saw feels very well balanced with the 20" bar on it for me, the 462 dont seem to get through the same amount of fuel as the 500 but the 500 is 80cc and the 462 is 72cc i think, the choice is yours sir but if you need to know owt else or have a chat about them you know where i am,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Alright

Just as title suggests wot do folk recommend??

I did search for it but surprisingly nothing came up.

It's for a felling saw for forestry so be running a 20"bar occasionally bigger, but manly oversized trees so 3ft+ butts

I know everyone seems to rave about the 500.

I phoned up a local company  thinking was going to price a 462 and got a price for 500 too  just for noiseyness, but thought it would be too expensive.

Only 100 quid dearer.

Never really into new models or gimmicks just want a saw to work as it should but for only 100 quid more am I daft not to get the 500?

I know its not the question but , as you have used 372s before did you not consider trying a 572 ?