Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Ah yeh, I get ya now. I quite agree. Its a sad reflection on how society is today. Its worth keeping in mind there numerous cases of abuse that children faced when being sent away for WW2, not just sexual but used as slaves to work the farms etc. Not everyone had an idyllic time. Then we have all the covenants full of young girls getting abused and obviously boys as well in orphanages. Its not a modern occurrence, it was just hidden and shameful before. But the cost of being more open about sexual abuse is we're ready to linch anyone who has the finger pointed at them and that's their life ruined after than. (assuming they where innocent of course)

Its the same with sexual harassment in the workplace. It absolutely should not be tolerated but things have gone to far now. You can laugh and joke with a few lads and lassies during the day and the girl can decide at a later date that what was joked about was harassment and put an official complaint in. 100% you'll be hauled over the coals. Work now seems to have an invisible barrier up now. Ive had a couple of girls sit on my lap off-shore. As much as I enjoyed it I was bricking myself that it could come back to haunt me. If a girl wants to hug, or kiss cheeks, or make sexual jokes I dont get involved anymore, just in case. And we have a couple of stunners on our crew as well. Great for getting priority Crane Lifts. :D 

Tell us more about the ones who sat on your lap please. Details. Sounds like fun.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

ah yeah, but in good faith is a phrase with a different meaning

If something is done in good faith, it is done sincerely and honestly

by the looks of Cummings blog editing antics it doesn't look like he was acting in good faith

For someone who is meant to be an expert in data modelling, he's certainly dropped a bollock.

On 26/05/2020 at 00:05, tree-fancier123 said:

I have to agree that Cummings has ruined the idea of people being obedient and as people have said today his actions may have put many lives in danger if it results in people copying him, finding their own ways to justify bending the rules.

However, I still think he is more of an asset than a liability. The fact he wants politics to be steered by science marks him out as a visionary. Most advisors are only about business and economy. I think Cummings tries to bring a lot of different disciplines together for an interesting perspective.

Looks like people are already telling the coppers to feck off in regards to sticking to the rules, anyway this guy is quite funny about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Stere said:

WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Many said it was almost impossible to socially distance at the beach during the hot Bank Holiday

I used to think the Telegraph was one of the more reputable papers.  Are they seriously trying to suggest the beaches were busy because of Dominic Cummings?  Not the beautiful weather and the bank holiday and the fact that everywhere indoors is shut so half the population is heading to outdoor beauty spots?

How stupid do they think we are?  As far as I recall, in England you are now allowed to travel to beaches, so did anyone really expect the beaches to be quiet???!!  Despite what the Telegraph article says the beachgoers are not breaking the rules. 

I noticed finally a bit of balance in the news re packed beaches.  Remember the pics of Southend Beach looking a bit on the full side?  Well here is the local newspaper's take on it, with photos from above.  The man who shot the drone footage said "There were packed beaches, although people seemed to be social distancing, coping with restrictions and being sensible".

WWW.ECHO-NEWS.CO.UK

THOUSANDS of daytrippers appeared to respect social distancing guidelines as they lined the town’s beaches yesterday.

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

the story has made the New Statesman too, ah well, I'm voting MarkJ at the next election, can't wait to put my feet up on UBI

I'd be a terrible politician.
You could put your feet up with a UBI or you could graft on with something. It'd be nice for everyone to have the option.

Just now, Mark J said:

I'd be a terrible politician.
You could put your feet up with a UBI or you could graft on with something. It'd be nice for everyone to have the option.

Well with that view I'm glad you realise you'd be terrible. 

No it certainly would not be nice for everyone to have that option. Dont work but can? Then dont eat. Simple as. 

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Well with that view I'm glad you realise you'd be terrible. 

No it certainly would not be nice for everyone to have that option. Dont work but can? Then dont eat. Simple as. 

The current situation is clearly unsustainable. Most jobs will be automated in a decade or so. So if there's no work, what do we eat? Robots?