Home schooling - anyone else had a bit of a shock??

Squaredy

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Great idea! That will build good cognitive skills. I was taught by my great grandfather when I was about that age. 

My grandad taught me how to count with dominoes, cards and later horse racing. The latter was his personal vice but a great way to teach a child how to add up/multiply. How much per stake on a given odds, how much each way with different finishing results and how much with and without paying the tax at source. We used to head out once a week to an illegal bookmaker housed in a garage behind the local Social Club and place ten bob each. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

My grandad taught me how to count with dominoes, cards and later horse racing. The latter was his personal vice but a great way to teach a child how to add up/multiply. How much per stake on a given odds, how much each way with different finishing results and how much with and without paying the tax at source. We used to head out once a week to an illegal bookmaker housed in a garage behind the local Social Club and place ten bob each. 

Choosing whether or not to pay tax on bets with a bookie is a long time ago, 30 years?, 5% at source, or as my memory deceived me?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

Lovely story. :) Thats some cherished memories there. Must have been super exciting as a kid?

I never knew my Granddad on my 'dads' side. He died when my 'dad' died when he was 3. My Grandfather on that side was Managing the Power Station in Trinidad, so my 'dad' was born there.  He dies in his personal Aircraft. 

My Great Grandfather, as Ive mentioned in another thread, used to sneak me Snuff when I was 6 years old. Very occasionally mind. Id sup on his home made beer and he'd teach me how to make basic explosives. :D I used to sell a Weedkiller and Sugar Mix at Primary school. He showed me how to make Thermite with a Magnesium fuse. He also showed me how to make an explosive that when dried would blow the legs off of a Fly, but I cannot remember the recipe. :(  One Story goes he was messing about with this touch explosive and used a newspaper in the process, cant remember why. Anyway, Nana (Grandma) used the Newspaper to draw the fire to get it to light and boom! No more eyebrows! 

He lived there since the second world war, after the war he was military police at Rosyth Navel Base.  My 'Dad' lives in the same house. It has a lot of memories, with the apple tree in the Back. 

• Like 4

Lovely story. [emoji4] Thats some cherished memories there. Must have been super exciting as a kid?

I never knew my Granddad on my 'dads' side. He died when my 'dad' died when he was 3. My Grandfather on that side was Managing the Power Station in Trinidad, so my 'dad' was born there.  He dies in his personal Aircraft. 

My Great Grandfather, as Ive mentioned in another thread, used to sneak me Snuff when I was 6 years old. Very occasionally mind. Id sup on his home made beer and he'd teach me how to make basic explosives. [emoji3] I used to sell a Weedkiller and Sugar Mix at Primary school. He showed me how to make Thermite with a Magnesium fuse. He also showed me how to make an explosive that when dried would blow the legs off of a Fly, but I cannot remember the recipe. [emoji20]  One Story goes he was messing about with this touch explosive and used a newspaper in the process, cant remember why. Anyway, Nana (Grandma) used the Newspaper to draw the fire to get it to light and boom! No more eyebrows! 

He lived there since the second world war, after the war he was military police at Rosyth Navel Base.  My 'Dad' lives in the same house. It has a lot of memories, with the apple tree in the Back. 

Your great grandad sounds like my dad!
???
I know what that wet dry boom stuff is too![emoji106]
By the age of 11 I had to stop playing fizz pop. Got a bit too good at it.
[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]???[emoji106]
These days you'd be had up under anti terrorist laws, but back then it was called "chemistry experiments"
[emoji12][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 2