UK Work Force.

5 shires

10 hours ago, Khriss said:

Ive worked for farmers an they were c**ts. Bank in their pocket and nice 4x4 i could never afford. I sympathise with some who care for the land, and work the hours -  but met too many who would have the feudal system back in a flash. K

1976,a few months waiting to get away to the army,worked for a farmer for that duration of time,milking twice a day and so forth, rate, 50pence an hour,oh i, and lunch and dinner thrown in. lol.

• Thanks 1

Just now, struie said:

1976,a few months waiting to get away to the army,worked for a farmer for that duration of time,milking twice a day and so forth, rate, 50pence an hour,oh i, and lunch and dinner thrown in. lol.

I was on £1.00 an hour in 1996. So 50p in in 1976 sounds ok. :D 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Go and work on a farm then, day in day out for minimum wage then come back to me.

For the rest of your working life, not just for a summer job

Thousnads and thousands off folk do there whole working life..

Let's face it farm work has never been easier than it is now, with mechanisation and modern farm buildings

If ur full time u will likely get a free house too.

Dairymen, or I should say good dairymen are making very good money nowadays. Even a decent stockman can get pick of jobs as so few about.

Is farm work so much worse than dragging brash the rest of ur life??

Both near enough minimum wage.

The exchange rate and low pay at home makes it far more attractive to them than it ever will be to Brits.

I would imagine if ur average wage at home was £250 than grafting hard for 100 odd quid a day ( I presume that's a possible wage) earning 2 or 3 months pay per week.

Even now I'd bite ur hand off for some off that no matter wot the job was.

Brashing trees or steepling up esp when on pipelines ( dong km's of fencing a day) are similar mind numbing jobs but u just get head down and go into day dream mode, far better now with mp3s and headphones.

I'm hold enough to wind walkmans, even the tape 1s never liked the bouncing much.

Young rates may help, but in reality just makes it even more attractive to migrant labour.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, struie said:

As I recall the agricultural wage, set by a wages board, in 1974 was £15 per week for 40 hours. That works out at 37p/hour. I had just moved from being a General Farm Worker to trainee forestry worker and the forestry wage was £19 to allow for the harder work and conditions. A three bedroom house in my village could be had for £4k in 1969 but inflation was beginning to bite by 1974 and by 1979 the same house was £30k.

What you lot seem to be missing are a couple of points

1 It's a crisis and someone always makes money out of a crisis, as farmers did during and after the war.

2 International trade depends on confidence everyone in the chain gets paid, one link in that chain fearing they will not get paid and the thing breaks down. We import half of the food sold in UK and this supply is already dented. The last thing we need is for farmers to dither about putting this years' crops in the ground because they fear they won't get harvested.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, struie said:

I bet you were on about the same wage when you joined the Army in 76. 

50 minutes ago, Stere said:

Seems milk being £1 for yrs & yrs in supermarkets now so how are they making money from all theese new  the mega dairy etc?

Butters gone up though......

Aye but dairy farmers only getting 25- 30p a litre, which it has been since the Milk Marketing Board finished althou only a few years ago down to 15- 17p a litre.

Seemingly MLK s a loss leader to many supermarkets so u need these mega dairies or small heads milked by robots to even try to break even, really just like battery farming chickens as cows never get out anymore.

It would be quite possible for a modern dairy cow love it's whole life never actually walking on or eating real grass.