Baldbloke

49 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Better late than never.
Why not now though?
I think they're taking us for a ride.
Herd immunity for the win.
I'm glad I didn't vote them in.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Airlines group says it has been told coronavirus quarantining will start from the end of May.

Ffs Mark, run for the council as a labour candidate as a start and then you can do something about it eh ??rather than the never ending political posts. 
I actually agree it should have been done ages ago and said so a good while back, but it’s the last sentence that just drags it down to the standard drip drip drip type of thing you just can’t seem to stop posting, I think everyone gets you don’t like tories or Boris by now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mark J said:

A canny talk from 2018 which rings true now.
Universal Basic Income is the way forward:

Tell you what Mark, I would support UBI, with 1 provision, it entirely replaces ALL other benefits,

i.e. it is the same as an earned wage packet,

so no free housing, free cars or subs for extra brats,

each adult simply has to manage with a fixed amount of money per week.

But, somehow, I dont see that as likely.

• Like 1

So, have I got this right?

If I'm old, fat, poor, male, from an ethnic minority, with bad health, living in a heavily built up area, blood type B, sociable, and ignorant of Gov health warnings then I'm much more likely to get C-19?

Surely there are far more people like me than wealthy and reclusive investors and business leaders who are worried about workers taking too much time off and keen for everyone to get back to work?

• Thanks 1

Tell you what Mark, I would support UBI, with 1 provision, it entirely replaces ALL other benefits,

All depends on the lvl its set at.

If it doesn't cover the billions in rent payed by  housing benefit would be a few more million homeless with UBI.

• Like 1

The thing with NZ is how do they go forward do they keep orders locked forever? Or only open to Oz?

This virus will not just die out, globally I'm sure will be flare ups for a long time to come.

While NZ have always had a strict immigration policy it only takes 1 on a flight to spread it, esp with 30% showing no symptoms at all.

If a few get throu it will spread quickly in the population as no previous exposure to virus.

I'm sure they will jump on it quickly, but how many times can u go into lock down.

As someone said earlier u could probably not pick 2 different countries to compare, UK or more London ISA global hub with lots of folk passing throu.

Scotland to NZ might be a more similar comparision, similar population, still more space in NZ thou and I bet deaths are more similar.

The 3 biggest rural areas of Scotland ( D&G, borders and highland) only have about 300 cases each and my region is only 40 deaths, hospitsls empty.

Bet no more folk dieing than normal,

Why did u not compare Sweden to UK? More similar in size to UK?

Another thing to Lok at is howd death are recorded, in UK any thing that even looks symptomatic of C19 is recorded as C19 death while even in countries like Germany where u trust the stats they're recording the actual reason, so heart attack, cancer etc if that was the main reason even with C19 on top.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, difflock said:

I think that's the point of it.
UBI was a good idea before this poxy virus rocked up.
In a decade (or less) most distribution, food production and admin jobs will be automated. That's a lot of people. A UBI is going to be essential. It should be a decent sum of money too.
(Living wage x 40).

Edited by Mark J

China & Taiwan eliminated it also only new cases are supposedly imported.

Taiwan pop density per km square is over  double UK  and 28 million total pop.

Don't think that  the UK's pop  density are good excuses for covid....

2 hours ago, drinksloe said:

The thing with NZ is how do they go forward do they keep orders locked forever? Or only open to Oz?

This virus will not just die out, globally I'm sure will be flare ups for a long time to come.

While NZ have always had a strict immigration policy it only takes 1 on a flight to spread it, esp with 30% showing no symptoms at all.

If a few get throu it will spread quickly in the population as no previous exposure to virus.

I'm sure they will jump on it quickly, but how many times can u go into lock down.

As someone said earlier u could probably not pick 2 different countries to compare, UK or more London ISA global hub with lots of folk passing throu.

Scotland to NZ might be a more similar comparision, similar population, still more space in NZ thou and I bet deaths are more similar.

The 3 biggest rural areas of Scotland ( D&G, borders and highland) only have about 300 cases each and my region is only 40 deaths, hospitsls empty.

Bet no more folk dieing than normal,

Why did u not compare Sweden to UK? More similar in size to UK?

Another thing to Lok at is howd death are recorded, in UK any thing that even looks symptomatic of C19 is recorded as C19 death while even in countries like Germany where u trust the stats they're recording the actual reason, so heart attack, cancer etc if that was the main reason even with C19 on top.

The virus cannot replicate without a host. So all they need to do in NZ now is quarantine new arrivals. It's not rocket science.

We've gone down a different route. The cat is out the bag over here. Without a full on lockdown/ testing and contact tracing, we're not actively trying to suppress the virus.  We're merely trying to slow the rate of transmission so our understocked NHS doesn't collapse.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 2

Some useful information in here about covid- 19.
It shines some light on the issue of viral load and situations where transmission is more likely to occur.
It's written Erin Bromage who is Assoc. Prof. of Biology at the University of Massachusetts.

ERINBROMAGE.WIXSITE.COM

It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable...

Edited by Mark J