Fireworks Ban?

Billhook

I see that the German environmentalists are going for a ban.  

WWW.DW.COM

The ban on fireworks would affect cities like Berlin, Munich and Cologne, and would be implemented to protect...

They have calculated that 5000 tons of particulate dust were released within a few hours around midnight, equivalent to 16% of the emissions from vehicles for the whole year

Last year my wife and I endured New Years Eve in Denmark and it was as if World War three had broken out.  A pall of smoke hung over the small town near Copenhagen and people were throwing fireworks under cars in the street.

If you add up all the particulates worldwide...........????     

Look at Sydney, a very insensitive display in front of all those people who have lost loved ones, their homes with the fires.  Fairly irresponsible in such a dry time.

Surely we need to ban fireworks before we start banning gas and wood stoves?  Bit  of joined up handwriting needed methinks.

Personally I am fed up with them, I might have been awed by the first site of a full display twenty years ago, but it is now a bit like going to see your favourite movie for the twentieth time.  Even Crocodile Dundee becomes tiresome!

A lot of terrified animals, a lot of people taken to hospital, a lot of people trying to sleep disturbed.

I won't miss them.

• Like 4

Yes definitely time for a radical rethink - far too much smoke and various crap going into the atmosphere for several weeks around guy fawkes then NYE as well.

Also change would be highly resisted, but how many tons of co2 and 1000 different chemicals are emitted from cigarettes?

Each one may not seem like much, but how many millions are burnt every single day? 

Hopefully nothing comes from this (and I don't think it will), fireworks are truly unique and they've lasted hundreds of years, there's no reason to ban them now.

I still love them now but I'll never forget watching them as a child and you can see children enjoying them the same way now. Obviously there's people who don't like them but we would have nothing left if everybody who complained got their way. The noise is only as bad as a thunderstorm and as long as notice is given it's easy enough to protect animals.

• Like 3

I used to love having a bonfire of the brash in the woods on a cold Winter;s day, but since we are a farm and a commercial unit, it is not allowed without an environmental exemption

I used to really enjoy stubble burning, not just for the benefit of needing less cultivations and sprays, but I appreciate it needed stopping as it was antisocial.

Surely fireworks cause more pollution than wood burning stoves

I appreciate that kids love them, but it is mainly kids who are leading the extinction rebellion and perhaps banning fireworks would be a good way to demonstrate how serious they are.

• Like 3

I think we shoukd ban everything we don't like or understand.

Guns

Fireworks

Motorbikes.

Power Boats

Large Fridges and Freezers

4x4s

Hunting

Sport fishing

Big Dogs

Air travel

Smart Phones

Equestrian Events

None of the above are needed these days.

• Like 2