Opico Skidster or sherpa mini loaders

swinny

• 1 month later...

5 hours ago, JLA1990 said:

Anyone had any experience with a Thomas 35dt? Not looking as a full

Time material handler more wanting to put a small chain trencher on it - the hflow seems good enough to run some attachments for the odd job.

If it’s the one on eBay then I’d have a very good look at it and satisfy yourself as to the track motor issues. I’ve never heard of a lazy track motor that could be fixed by tightening a few bolts 🙄

I’m not sure how a thomas 35 works but if it’s an independent track motor and pump system for each side like most tracked skids then I would be suspecting either a pump or motor rebuild or replacement. 

I’ve had a look at the manual online and it’s suggesting it’s a single pump and multiple motor system, much like a mini digger. Again, never known a lazy digger track motor that didn’t have major problems internally. 

I think there are better carriers for a small chain trencher- really you need Avant/Multione flow rates. 8.5 gallons per minute 38 litres a minute. reasonable but from experience a small Digga chain trencher is slow on an e19 at 30 lpm and a totally different animal on an e27 or Multione 8.4 at 55-65lpm.

You can spec a Digga trencher with a smaller motor apparently, but that just means it will stall a lot more often. For all I know my secondhand unit has this smaller motor fitted, and if that’s the case then 38 lpm would be very limiting.

What width and depth are you hoping to trench and and on what kind of ground? 

Edited by doobin

8 hours ago, JLA1990 said:

Anyone had any experience with a Thomas 35dt? Not looking as a full

Time material handler more wanting to put a small chain trencher on it - the hflow seems good enough to run some attachments for the odd job.

I would pass on it.Canadian machine and parts are few and far between no dealers over here, believe they went bust years ago 

4 hours ago, doobin said:

If it’s the one on eBay then I’d have a very good look at it and satisfy yourself as to the track motor issues. I’ve never heard of a lazy track motor that could be fixed by tightening a few bolts 🙄

I’m not sure how a thomas 35 works but if it’s an independent track motor and pump system for each side like most tracked skids then I would be suspecting either a pump or motor rebuild or replacement. 

I’ve had a look at the manual online and it’s suggesting it’s a single pump and multiple motor system, much like a mini digger. Again, never known a lazy digger track motor that didn’t have major problems internally. 

I think there are better carriers for a small chain trencher- really you need Avant/Multione flow rates. 8.5 gallons per minute 38 litres a minute. reasonable but from experience a small Digga chain trencher is slow on an e19 at 30 lpm and a totally different animal on an e27 or Multione 8.4 at 55-65lpm.

You can spec a Digga trencher with a smaller motor apparently, but that just means it will stall a lot more often. For all I know my secondhand unit has this smaller motor fitted, and if that’s the case then 38 lpm would be very limiting.

What width and depth are you hoping to trench and and on what kind of ground? 

Morning, yeah that was my thought. Lazy movement on anything tracked means new motor/pump generally. I ran a trencher on my 925tx which was great and as you say higher lpm, as you say 38lpm is likely to stall a lot but might be ok for the right job (virgin ground). Trencher wise 6” width x 24” length although could get smaller if available. 

I was wondering about the availability of parts and whether can source alternative pumps/motors but guess mounting/space would be the issue. Just was thinking for the right price might be worth a punt as generally speaking looks in good condition for its age.

On 12/01/2024 at 09:26, JLA1990 said:

Morning, yeah that was my thought. Lazy movement on anything tracked means new motor/pump generally. I ran a trencher on my 925tx which was great and as you say higher lpm, as you say 38lpm is likely to stall a lot but might be ok for the right job (virgin ground). Trencher wise 6” width x 24” length although could get smaller if available. 

I was wondering about the availability of parts and whether can source alternative pumps/motors but guess mounting/space would be the issue. Just was thinking for the right price might be worth a punt as generally speaking looks in good condition for its age.

Pumps and motors will usually be from a pump and motor manufacturer. The rebuild or replacement cost is the big gamble.

On my DitchWitch, a scored track motor cost me £1400 plus vat, which was right at the top end of what I'd budgeted when negotiating a sale.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2024 at 09:26, AHPP said:

Well done, whoever bumped this thread. I was wanting it yesterday. I'll let you know when I remember what for. 

And now I've found it, I can't remember what I wanted to post in it. It was interesting as well. Fkkk my brain. 

Have a consolation picture of the game larder, feat. skidder. I'm using red grease atm, which disguises the bloodstaining. 

236CB395-3894-43F3-9642-1FBA4E1B7E9B.thumb.jpeg.82015357904c05b8dd517ee07e4c4663.jpeg

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2022 at 19:27, william127 said:

If I had a loader and the mowing work this is 100% how I'd do it.  

So manoeuvrable, multi purpose, not knocking the hell out the loader powering a potentially unsatisfactory flail...

I've got a job in mind that it would be perfect for, but financially it'll only ever justify a brush cutter unfortunately 😕 

18 months ago we were talking about modifying an ATV petrol flail mower to go on the front of a mini loader, has anyone actually done it yet?  I'm giving it serious consideration as I've got some brushcutter work coming up and no one wants to be doing that 😅 😆 

• Like 1