Stihl 2in1 chain sharpener ?

cessna

I bought 2 of these recently after seeing so many good reviews. I cant for the life of me figure out how to maintain a decent curved hook on the cutter with this tool. Normally with a regular file I apply downward pressure to create a curve and then backward pressure to actually remove debris off the cutter. Doesn't seem possible with this tool and after a few sharpens I'm left with next to no hook below the cutter. 

Not sure if I'm missing something here but I can definitely get a chain to cut a whole lot better with a regular file. With all these great reviews though I am wondering if its just me......

14 minutes ago, DTaylor said:

I bought 2 of these recently after seeing so many good reviews. I cant for the life of me figure out how to maintain a decent curved hook on the cutter with this tool. Normally with a regular file I apply downward pressure to create a curve and then backward pressure to actually remove debris off the cutter. Doesn't seem possible with this tool and after a few sharpens I'm left with next to no hook below the cutter. 

Not sure if I'm missing something here but I can definitely get a chain to cut a whole lot better with a regular file. With all these great reviews though I am wondering if its just me......

With the free hand " regular file " you are doing it wrong . It should be slightly upward pressure , Ideally with 1/5th of the file dameter ABOVE the top plate . This way you are sharpening the cutting edge .  You can the drop the file down and take out the gullets when needed . Don't forget to take down the rakers ( depth gauges ) with a flat file from time to time or you will just make dust .  So your fancy Stihl folder is probably holding the file at the correct height .

With the free hand " regular file " you are doing it wrong . It should be slightly upward pressure , Ideally with 1/5th of the file dameter ABOVE the top plate . This way you are sharpening the cutting edge .  You can the drop the file down and take out the gullets when needed . Don't forget to take down the rakers ( depth gauges ) with a flat file from time to time or you will just make dust .  So your fancy Stihl folder is probably holding the file at the correct height .

Slightly upward pressure?
Do you mean backwards?
[emoji106]

14 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I thought everyone used the small wheel electric grinders now? 🤔

Still need to learn the art of hand filing and what if your onsite and chain goes blunt.Shows your as green as grass at times and no chainsaw course can substitute for experience.Your learnt that with your cleaning i am sure and still doing so.

Edited by topchippyles

On 16/11/2019 at 18:56, cessna said:

What are your thoughts on the Stihl 2in1  chain sharpener .  Can they be used on FULL chisel and SEMI Chisel chains.

Any info much appreciated.

If the sharpener has already been discussed please  direct  me to the  topic/thread to avoid  repetition.Thank you.  

I have 4 and they are the best sharpening tool I have ever used....had them for a while now when only stihl supplied them but now there are other makes on the market now...be prepared to buy the stihl ones anywhere from £22 to £25 and £10 to £12 for other makes.

The only down side is you have to buy a special length files round and flat which fits into the file holder but I just grind down normal files to the lengths I need and definitely 9/10 would be 10/10 if you didn’t have to piss about with buying the files to suit or reduce normal ones.