Stihl 2in1 chain sharpener ?

cessna

26 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Cracking tool and i use a lot of einhell stuff and really rate them. The 18 v impact driver pisses all over my milwaukee and dewalt ones 

Einhell Power X-Change 18V Battery & Charger 3.0Ah

Yes got the impact driver and it's brilliant. Have sds cordless as well which is awesome.36v chainsaw is so handy to keep in truck for small clearing jobs. Like you really rate their kit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTaylor said:

I bought 2 of these recently after seeing so many good reviews. I cant for the life of me figure out how to maintain a decent curved hook on the cutter with this tool. Normally with a regular file I apply downward pressure to create a curve and then backward pressure to actually remove debris off the cutter. Doesn't seem possible with this tool and after a few sharpens I'm left with next to no hook below the cutter. 

Not sure if I'm missing something here but I can definitely get a chain to cut a whole lot better with a regular file. With all these great reviews though I am wondering if its just me......

Not sure if you got the answer you were looking for. It sounds to me like you don't have the square guide bars resting on the chain as that's the only way you could have the round file too high. Also I'm sure this is obvious but do you have the right size file for your chain?

If you are filing a brand new chain with the 2in1 it takes a few passes, usually around 6-7 to take it from factory grind to file grind. Maybe you lost the geometry somewhere in going from stock grind to field grind? With the file on the chain both the front and back square guide bars should be touching the chain/teeth

I like the 2in1 but I often just do it "by hand" with a normal file set. I found the 2in1 set the rakers really low, I confirmed it with a raker guide. Used to cut like buggery but often vibrated like a jackhammer in the cut

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

I find it useful to give the cutters a quick sharpen every now and again whilst working. I find it's quicker than changing a chain and speeds up cutting.

I also don't have a bench of blunt chains to deal with...

2 to 3 strokes every fillup .

• Like 1