Who knows there Latin?

DTaylor

Had to learn about 20 a week at college in the early 1990's. My English, grammar and spelling is terrible. But, learning botanical names was something I was
interested in and found quite easy. Forgot a few of the rarer shurbs since, but the majority of common trees still roll of the tongue.

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Me n clever bollox Johnson were talking about spoiling n grammar on the the phone yesterday, his old jack tar training of check, check, and check again came up. Me on the other hand don't give a flying unless it's on important paperwork.

And so me ‘ole egg pudding, Latin nomenclature at the customer facing end of the Arb world is all a bunch of bollox. 

It is perpetuated by academic service deliverers who probably think it’s ‘clever’ and might be better filling the syllabus with something more practical and by poncy, shiny ass office jockeys with little greater practical application than proving to themselves how clever they are after learning - parrot fashion - something that very few people, outside of the scientific community, really care about.

Even your 5837 survey requires Latin + common tree names (which I generally adhere to since I’m such a habitual conformist) but many don’t as can be seen by a cursory search and examination online. 

As to orders from foreign suppliers - well that’s simple to fix and hardly a justification of need - we’d have a lot less pests and diseases if we stopped importing dubious provenance product from Johnny Foreigner and bought British (from Barchams for example!)

Rule Britannia,

God save the Queen

Buy British

Speak English!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

And so me ‘ole egg pudding, Latin nomenclature at the customer facing end of the Arb world is all a bunch of bollox. 

It is perpetuated by academic service deliverers who probably think it’s ‘clever’ and might be better filling the syllabus with something more practical and by poncy, shiny ass office jockeys with little greater practical application than proving to themselves how clever they are after learning - parrot fashion - something that very few people, outside of the scientific community, really care about.

Even your 5837 survey requires Latin + common tree names (which I generally adhere to since I’m such a habitual conformist) but many don’t as can be seen by a cursory search and examination online. 

As to orders from foreign suppliers - well that’s simple to fix and hardly a justification of need - we’d have a lot less pests and diseases if we stopped importing dubious provenance product from Johnny Foreigner and bought British (from Barchams for example!)

Rule Britannia,

God save the Queen

Buy British

Speak English!

How’s your Italian made  Multione working out for you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

About the same as the Toyota he drives.

Here we go....

All aboard the ????

Haven’t you got drains to attend to ?

I ‘spose the Yemeni asparagus, Hollandaise sauce and French white is out of bounds too....  

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yr heart is in the right place, Kev.  I drive a British Landrover ( 1966 series 2A) but Latin was actually the language of England for centuries and in place as the written word longer than Modern English which is only about 200 yrs old. K

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Yr heart is in the right place, Kev.  I drive a British Landrover ( 1966 series 2A) but Latin was actually the language of England for centuries and in place as the written word longer than Modern English which is only about 200 yrs old. K

Mon dieu Rodney!

We used to send young children up chimneys too...

That’s progress for you ?