justice system wrong or right??

Robert_S

But you should be allowed to defend your own property at the time of a breakin without fear of prosecution.

You should be able to defend yourself and your family, and the law allows you to do that.

As for property, that is also just stuff, and I see human life - even the life of a thief - as a lot more important.

Honestly, if I met a thief in my home in the process of taking stuff, I'd ask him to leave, being careful not to threaten him in a way that could lead to violence, and once he'd gone I'd call the police. I think this is a civilised way to do things. I also think that it is a lot safer for me, in that a burglar who knew he could be legally assaulted would probably react in a very different way and probably try to strike first. I'm happy with the law as it is.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to defend yourself and your family, and the law allows you to do that.

As for property, that is also just stuff, and I see human life - even the life of a thief - as a lot more important.

Honestly, if I met a thief in my home in the process of taking stuff, I'd ask him to leave, being careful not to threaten him in a way that could lead to violence, and once he'd gone I'd call the police. I think this is a civilised way to do things. I also think that it is a lot safer for me, in that a burglar who knew he could be legally assaulted would probably react in a very different way and probably try to strike first. I'm happy with the law as it is.

Sorry but I don't agree. In that situation it is unlikely you or them would be thinking clearly about possible legal repercussions. You'd act in the spur of the moment and do your thinking later!

A different senario.

Recently on TV the single parent looking after her severely disabled son being victimised in her own home for over three years, windows smashed, car wrecked and physically and mentally abused by one family.

If I were the woman that killed herself last year, I would have killed all my tormentors before killing myself, whatever age they were

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you a pacifist??

So should the police just ask a thief to just come with them please??

Should we have just asked Hitler to please leave Poland??

I am not fan of violence, but I will not give up things (or stuff if you prefer) that I have worked hard to buy without a fight.

Your speeding analogy is not a good one IMO, if you exceed the speed limit you don't intend to hurt any one, its wrong yes and you WILL be punished if caught and benefit cheats and tax evaders will also be punished if found out.

As for forgiveness, I have no need to forgive unrepentant scum in order to get on with my life.

I don't see why none forgiveness must lead to bitterness???

Edited by skyhuck

Wow, the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade are all out on this thread. I can see this isn't going to be popular, but I don't agree with the attitudes here. Sorry, but it's just stuff. Sure, you maybe worked hard for that stuff and are fond of it and stroke it before you put it to bed at night, but it's still just stuff. I don't think it's worth inflicting physical harm on anyone for the sake of stuff.

Just stuff eh?

Ever had any of your stuff taken?

Its not really the cost of replacing the stuff.

It can cause serious mental health problems to some victims.

Theft/criminal damage affects every single one of us every day, regardless of whether we have had any of our stuff nicked or not.

You must of heard of criminals having hundreds of criminal offences with the law, just think of the amount of lives they have affected for the worst.

We dont live long enough to give these scum more than a second chance never mind 300 or so!

Capital and corporal punishment me thinks:thumbup1:

You've obviously never suffered from these scums activities. Over the years I've lost 'stuff' worth 40k. Never mind it's just stuff. Stuff that had to be worked for and allowed me and employees to work. Work.....something the scum don't do!

Rightly or wrongly I once spent one night in a shed sleeping with a 12 bore because I thought they may come back. Would I have used it? Don't know....maybe I'd have told them to leave, given them a ten minute head start and called plod:001_smile:

We dont live long enough to give these scum more than a second chance never mind 300 or so!

Capital and corporal punishment me thinks:thumbup1:

Agreed, About 2 years ago, My sister dumped a lad she was going out with, He left it a few weeks and went back to her house, ware she lives with my other sister, He cracked a window that was in the back door, Pour petrol threw and lit it, He then went round the front, Poured petrol threw the letter box and lit that too, So he set BOTH exits on fire, Luckily one of my sisters woke up and noticed the smoke and they were both rescude from an upstairs window by the fire brigade, He got 4 years for attempting to endanger life, WTF!!??? If thats not attempted murder i dont know what is :confused1: He set both exits on fire FFS, I had quite a few heated discussions with the police about the charge but i was never going to win and in the end it would of only got me in trouble. 4 years for trying to burn people while they sleep!! Absolutely amazing!! :thumbdown:

I am now counting down the days until he gets out!!!

Agreed, About 2 years ago, My sister dumped a lad she was going out with, He left it a few weeks and went back to her house, ware she lives with my other sister, He cracked a window that was in the back door, Pour petrol threw and lit it, He then went round the front, Poured petrol threw the letter box and lit that too, So he set BOTH exits on fire, Luckily one of my sisters woke up and noticed the smoke and they were both rescude from an upstairs window by the fire brigade, He got 4 years for attempting to endanger life, WTF!!??? If thats not attempted murder i dont know what is :confused1: He set both exits on fire FFS, I had quite a few heated discussions with the police about the charge but i was never going to win and in the end it would of only got me in trouble. 4 years for trying to burn people while they sleep!! Absolutely amazing!! :thumbdown:

I am now counting down the days until he gets out!!!

That is truly horrendous!

4 years!!!!!!

Why did they bother jailing him tbh:thumbdown:

Arson,destruction of property, trespassing and nots let forget attempted murder!

Do we really need to have people like that on this planet!

Being nice to someone does not stop them being violent!! i think there is more chance of them taking more of your stuff kicking your head in and generally abusing you because of the way you have reacted, a high percentage of these people only understand violence as a repercussion they dont care if you call the police. And its nice to act in a civilised way but it has to be reciprocated by civilians these people are animals who are looking for a victim.