Today's milling

Rough Hewn

On 18/11/2022 at 05:58, Rough Hewn said:

Ask me in a couple of weeks, as this is the first time using it.

so far everything looks flat still and it’s taken out 200+ litres of water.

I bought it off a mate who was drying about 6+ m3 of 2”-3” hardwood from green in 8-10 weeks to 10%mc.

Logosol don’t sell the 4kw anymore,

think it’s a 2kw now.

still can dry a dozen 10’ x 3’ slabs though.

Think I’ll get one at the start of the new year then. Sounds perfect. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t me milling today unfortunately but passed a tidy looking woodmizer in perfect milling weather knocking out what looked like a decent stack on the way up to Uig today, easy to forget how beautiful it can be up here, 14yrs since I last was up on Skye, thoroughly enjoyed the bimble up from Turiff today. 

• Like 1

This morning I collected some Acacia poles for a large pergola that I am constructing to grow Kiwis on. 
I’ve now agreed to help the old guy I collected from to reconstruct the roof over his mill after it was damaged in a storm, it will be in exchange for Douglas fir construction timber for another project I have in mind for next year.

A poor photograph of the mill which dates back to 1914 and Is assembled using the railway engineering of the time, the saw/carriage travels along rail lines, you sit right next to the blade.

He has wood everywhere, softwood sheds and hardwood sheds.

Interestingly, none of his wood is stickered, he rarely cuts green wood. He has decades worth of logs drying in the round instead.

His place stands in 5 square kilometres of woodland, completely fenced off with his own deer and boar population.

He is 82, only deals in cash and doesn’t own a receipt book.

13B687FB-9EB9-462E-AE75-937864DD6EE8.jpeg

47F141B3-0214-4BDC-BC2C-023711D5E2F5.jpeg

9BFB78CD-70E1-4165-8BC7-692BA72A5F12.jpeg

• Like 15

To be fair milling this pine has been a bit of a headache. I had started out using the 881 with full skip Oregon ripping chain .404, this was very jumpy in the wood. Brand new chain. Sharpened it, was okay but still very jumpy. Went back to the old lo pro ripping chain today, went well for a while until the chain snapped. Repaired the chain and tried again. Chain snapped again, no metal in the wood. Very odd, never had any trouble like that before in milling. 

It does seem like the chains are getting much hotter in the pine with it being quite fibrous. Have milled other pine and softwoods before with absolutely no trouble. 

Milled beech, oak, ash and a bunch of other woods and never snapped a chain, apart from on an oak that had an old metal fence piece in the middle of it. 

I am wondering if I need to use a less powerful saw, I've got the old 92cc, which may be different than the 881 in the wood. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJStrees said:

To be fair milling this pine has been a bit of a headache. I had started out using the 881 with full skip Oregon ripping chain .404, this was very jumpy in the wood. Brand new chain. Sharpened it, was okay but still very jumpy. Went back to the old lo pro ripping chain today, went well for a while until the chain snapped. Repaired the chain and tried again. Chain snapped again, no metal in the wood. Very odd, never had any trouble like that before in milling. 

It does seem like the chains are getting much hotter in the pine with it being quite fibrous. Have milled other pine and softwoods before with absolutely no trouble. 

Milled beech, oak, ash and a bunch of other woods and never snapped a chain, apart from on an oak that had an old metal fence piece in the middle of it. 

I am wondering if I need to use a less powerful saw, I've got the old 92cc, which may be different than the 881 in the wood. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

I rarely mill  pine but when I do it is always difficult.  That might be because they are large knotty logs, but we always find the band mill blades wander badly. Give me nice easy oak any day.

• Thanks 1