Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Couple of days milling on a beautiful location for a previous client and forum member, met another arbtalker onsite doing the  tree work and assisting with the milling. Mixture of Oak, Beech , Ash and Spruce. Weather pretty much played ball and apart from the usual few bits of metal hidden here and there it was a cracking couple of days. The 6 tonner with a grab/rotator is an absolutely brilliant bit of kit 👍👍

C977D0F5-1392-4B8A-949B-E94D4D5DA1BA.jpeg

9B2BE796-E375-413A-BD5F-E608363ED593.jpeg

B330E86C-B70A-488A-90B4-15C722577F7A.jpeg

53E24134-3919-4751-829B-249E31FD5630.jpeg

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 14

We milled the largest beam in fourteen years of milling yesterday- 6 metres long and 300mm square.  Lovely clean pippy oak from a dead straight log.

This is for my own use, but what would you charge for this?

E8CA40BC-D5B5-46AA-993F-643D792A6B8F.jpeg

BC608E21-D290-420D-B76F-C2187EF4227C.jpeg

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

We milled the largest beam in fourteen years of milling yesterday- 6 metres long and 300mm square.  Lovely clean pippy oak from a dead straight log.

Did you finish your snooker clubhouse/den?

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I would charge a lot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

Did you finish your snooker clubhouse/den?

No, progress has been slow…shortly going to put down the concrete pad.  All the timber is now cut and this beam is for the roof.  I originally planned to use a truss but realised there was no height for this (to comply with permitted development rights), so I am having a flat roof with this beam supporting the purlins in the middle.

38 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

No, progress has been slow…shortly going to put down the concrete pad.  All the timber is now cut and this beam is for the roof.  I originally planned to use a truss but realised there was no height for this (to comply with permitted development rights), so I am having a flat roof with this beam supporting the purlins in the middle.

I was wondering if it was for that. :) As for the price, I would say ten years ago I would charge £50 per foot multiplied by its length of 20ft, then double that. But I've only ever sold through and through oak boards so might be well shorting today's realistic value a bit given the uniqueness of the log you milled, crazy timber prices and construction material shortage etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AJStrees said:

On another note. Would you use full skip ripping chain on a 41" bar? or just go with full comp? for that length .404 on the 881. 

Anyone welcome to pitch in with constructive answers. 👍

Ive always just used a full comp on my 41" with my 881. If that helps. Works perfectly 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 18:26, AJStrees said:

On another note. Would you use full skip ripping chain on a 41" bar? or just go with full comp? for that length .404 on the 881. 

Anyone welcome to pitch in with constructive answers. 👍

Full skip would work well, higher chain speed and more chip clearance. Also less teeth to sharpen.👍

• Like 6