Pricing cock up

Tom D

I'm talking about jobs that i've charged £600 for and they should be in the thousands, and as the others guys say I'm giving them 3 guys for a day at no charge, but if I did the work it just would be paying them to do the job.

Better to lose a little than to lose a lot.

It doesn't happen often -3 times in 12 years, but just occasionally:biggrin:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about jobs that i've charged £600 for and they should be in the thousands, and as the others guys say I'm giving them 3 guys for a day at no charge, but if I did the work it just would be paying them to do the job.

Better to lose a little than to lose a lot.

It doesn't happen often -3 times in 12 years, but just occasionally:biggrin:

:confused1:How did you manage to get the price so far out?????????:confused1:

:confused1:How did you manage to get the price so far out?????????:confused1:

It very rarely happens. Once on a fallen tree that I just couldn't see the underside of it, I requoted it at £3600, from £600 and he accepted it!!!

and once on a lovely poplar, bless the poplar.

Whenever I quote poplar now I think of a good price then triple it.... if you can't get a crane to it.:thumbup:

It very rarely happens. Once on a fallen tree that I just couldn't see the underside of it, I requoted it at £3600, from £600 and he accepted it!!!

and once on a lovely poplar, bless the poplar.

Whenever I quote poplar now I think of a good price then triple it.... if you can't get a crane to it.:thumbup:

How can you possibly under price by such an amount . Maybe be on a contract but on one tree ? . Just curious thats all . If only all customers were like this oh heaven .:thumbup:

I'd be more embarrassed to lose 3K plus wages. I did offer the the one days work we did for free, and he could get other people to complete the works if he wanted. So he would have been £900 pounds up and me 3 guys wages for a day down. It was his call, oh and it was an insurance job as well.

This is rare, and of course there are a lot of jobs that your pricing is lean, but this last year and a half that has really paid off and we are busier than ever.

Some interesting answers here:

I always work on worst case scenario when quoting, it means I don't get a lot of jobs, but equally it means that I don't get stung - I have underquoted badly in the past and learnt from my mistake.

If I'm unsure I won't quote there and then I'll get someone else that I trust in for an opinion, some would say this is a weakness, I don't think it is.

In a sick kind of way it's quite satisfying when you see someone else doing the job for peanuts and struggling, it makes you realise you've made the right decision. It does annoy me when others quote and then move the goal posts by asking for more money, and I have had people come back to me when others have tried to do this.

The other day I did some work for a mates dad, I was always intending to be cheap as I wanted the job, so as long as I made some beer money I was going to be happy. I quoted for a hedge again worst case, 2 people for a day, he didn't go for it. I'm still happy with my price. I'm sure someone would quote cheaper but it could take forever, he's decided to have ago himself.

He did go for a few tree removals. I again put a day on it for 2 people thinking it would be a morning, I was glad I built in the extra as it was an into the afternoon job. Now this was a job where I intended to be cheap, I nearly didn't build in the safety margin. So glad I stuck to my guns!

As for not knowing what you getting into, I can understand that in the first few years. After that climb the tree/hedge have a look. Look at it in the dark, but if your ot 100percent go back the next day to make sure.

I think skyhuck's point is that a lot of people are being to cheap then whinging when it all goes wrong. If your working hard don't be afraid to charge a fair price.

Just my thoughts different people have different ways. I've not got much work on but have a reasonable standard of living. I'm not flat out in reverse, and I feel for the people that are.

Anybody can buy work

Rob