Unfair Competition

Jon Lad

In the area that I cover, there are a number of competitors. Some are local while others are from much further away.

Many are like myself and solely do general tree work, some are large firms others small. There are some who are landscapers who do tree work as well, or gardeners who also do trees and hedges to a limited extent.

These are the competition and I'm sure other members all over the country have similar competitors as these. All quoting against each other for the work which comes up in their area, but competing on a relatively level playing field.

I was wondering if any other members find themselves quoting against policemen; firemen; ambulance personnel or similar, doing tree work on their days off. And how difficult it is to compete with them on price, as effectively their wage / salary subsidises the prices they can give.

I know the arguments about convincing people to use qualified arborists, checking that the contractor has adequate insurance etc. But there are many customers, whose sole method of selection for who gets the job is price.

Does anyone else come up against this problem?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the area that I cover, there are a number of competitors. Some are local while others are from much further away.

Many are like myself and solely do general tree work, some are large firms others small. There are some who are landscapers who do tree work as well, or gardeners who also do trees and hedges to a limited extent.

These are the competition and I'm sure other members all over the country have similar competitors as these. All quoting against each other for the work which comes up in their area, but competing on a relatively level playing field.

I was wondering if any other members find themselves quoting against policemen; firemen; ambulance personnel or similar, doing tree work on their days off. And how difficult it is to compete with them on price, as effectively their wage / salary subsidises the prices they can give.

I know the arguments about convincing people to use qualified arborists, checking that the contractor has adequate insurance etc. But there are many customers, whose sole method of selection for who gets the job is price.

Does anyone else come up against this problem?

I should think that this applies to 99% of arbtalkers mate. For a lot of people one thing is important and that is price. End of. Stick to your guns and dont let this compromise your pricing policy or work ethic. :001_smile:

i think we all come up against this.

from time to time it gets frustrating.

not a lot we can do.

rely on your profesionalism and good name to get you the work as there is only so much you can do to compete on price.

and definately dont lose sleep.

Add to that list the LA employees doing a foreigner on the week end.

Not so very long ago there were a couple of LA employees who had managed to rent a chipper to the LA they were working for and took it away on the week ends for their foreigners. A double whammy since as a rate payer I was paying for it and they were using it on the week ends to compete against me.

How’s that for a level playing field? Not much you can do except grin and bear it.

?

I'm going to paint a big red cross on my transit and go round looking for casualties to sling in the back. Not a pro though so will probably give them the wrong treatments.....cut the wrong limbs off etc but hey ho alls fair

Its the same with the fencing and landscaping job, I dont bother with garden fencing now really cos theres always some numpty with a van who says they'll do it for some stupidly low price, even with agricultural fencing I know people who are barely charging enough to cover the diesel thier using, never mind thier labour just to get jobs, and landscapers who are the same, shows in the end though, you can do it cheap or you can do it properly

Doesnt worry me any more, let them get on with it!

Often the customers who get in weekend warriors and lads doing it on the side, are the types who will give you greif so they are welcome to it.

If people are too silly to realise you get what you pay for, its tuff.

Doesnt worry me any more, let them get on with it!

Often the customers who get in weekend warriors and lads doing it on the side, are the types who will give you greif so they are welcome to it.

If people are too silly to realise you get what you pay for, its tuff.

:dito::congrats::congrats: