Decent DIY level battery drill?

sandspider

My experience with Makita has been very good.  And when something has gone wrong - they have stood by their guarantee.  Accept that others may not have had such a good experience.  Over the years I've come to realise that it's smarter to buy the best you can - even if you don't use it that often. 

As already said above - driving such large screws will be a challenge for a Drill - an Impact Driver is a better bet.

I would say that going 'brushless' does make a difference.  Based on your original brief - this looks like a decent option. https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eri691com-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/5304p

I have some experience of Erbauer.  Not as robust as the major brands - but the batteries are widely available and not too expensive.  A mate has one - and they last well.

I have two sets of battery tools. A set of milwaukee which i use every day (joinery) and a set of metabo. I prefer to use the milwaukee for every day use as its nice and comfortable to use. However for shear robustness i prefer the metabo, not as nice to use but they are built to last.

I have two sets of milwaukee drill & impact driver which cost approx £250, one of these sets go every where with me on day to day jobs and well worth the money. Toolstation have a metabo drll in for about £120 i think and should be a useful drill.

But if you are going for cheapness, then as others have said, the erbaurer range from screwfix should be ok. i have never used it but another joiner at work swears by it.

H.

Full DeWalt here, have 18v XR kit, drill, impact driver, planer, circular saw, grinder, jigsaw etc, no issues at all. I got the “XRP” drill though cos it has the metal gearbox, standard XR are plastic. Highly recommend though [emoji106] standard 12 month warranty on all plus accessories, but if you register them online within the first month of purchase then you get 3yrs warranty. That applies to some accessories too.
Each and too their own tho.

When I did not use my 2 cordless drills for about a year they failed to recharge, before that no problem with continuous weekly use for 4 years or so...Looked on interweb and it said somewhere cordless batteries need to be used regular otherwise they die? so now for my occasional drill work I put up with an extension lead and my corded drill,pain in bum but reliable.

I'm in the Erbauer camp too. I've had their tools for years, corded and cordless. Their performance and robustness is excellent for their very reasonable price. As others have said I think they can't be bettered for value for money. My only quibble really is that the rechargeable batteries don't seem to last much longer than a couple of years.
After years of cheaper brands, (mainly Erbauer), I decided to treat myself to a couple of Makita tools, firstly a drill driver and then an impact driver. Mainly to try to overcome the short lived battery issue. The impact driver is great. The difference compared to a drill driver is dramatic I think, so much faster and more torque. Well worth having one if there's lots or some tough screwing to do! The Makita drill driver I'm not so sure about;- I had to send it back once already for a wobbly chuck, and its still not right now. Wish I'd registered for the guarantee in time. Battery life, it's a bit too early to tell yet how they compare to cheaper brands.