Wage! How much should the going rate be?

James905

Getting back into forestry after a few years in a sawmill, I'm developing my policy towards wages for cutters and it's as follows:

I expect a good day's graft, working on average 10 hours (07:00 to 17:00) with decent breaks and banter (I might work though a meal on the forwarder, but don't expect cutters to). I expect very high standards of technical skill, presentation and attention to detail. 

I expect a grace period where folk adapt to my way of working, during which they are paid slightly less, but once up to that standard, I pay £200 a day for a self employed cutter. If the cutter isn't able to get to that standard, I won't continue using them.

The funny thing is that I think you get a cheaper tonne (on the deck, ready for extraction) paying your cutters really well because you are only using the best and their output is so much higher. And they're happy too as it's a proper wage. 

I look at forestry jobs now thinking of how I'd approach it with good cutters and if I can't make money on it paying a decent wage to my cutters then it's not worth doing. If you want motivated, skilled contractors, you have to pay the right money. If you want repeat work and recommendations, you need skilled operatives to do a good job.

That being said, over the years I've had folks on site who weren't worth £50 a day, so you have to keep your eye on your worker when determining what to pay them!

I’m 100% with this one.
I agree with all the points made. I’m paying 140/150 a day for groundsmen. But they have to be competent in other skills too as tree work isn’t the whole business.
Competent climbers start at 150 pd.

I pay fair rates and in return expect a fair days work. Always time for humour and banter but the jobs got to get done. Strike the balance and everyone’s happy.

• Like 2

The wages in this industry are a total joke and have not changed for over 20 years .... probably why we keep seeing these ridiculous felling vids all over social media... further more are industries governing bodies are doing nothing to combat this ... I mean what do you expect sticking idiots and inexperienced guys on jobs that if they actually paid a decent wage in the first place they might be able to keep the guys who know what they are doing.. instead the money is spent on more irrelevant training that’s forgotten in five minutes and more jobs for the boys instead of trying to look after the actual workers who are doing the graft.

I’ve competed against Arb approved contractors and it left me in amazement that they could put a man out on a 200 mile round trip with all his gear out for £120 that’s what’s devaluating our industry every big firm cutting each other’s throat for the scraps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The wages in this industry are a total joke and have not changed for over 20 years .... probably why we keep seeing these ridiculous felling vids all over social media... further more are industries governing bodies are doing nothing to combat this ... I mean what do you expect sticking idiots and inexperienced guys on jobs that if they actually paid a decent wage in the first place they might be able to keep the guys who know what they are doing.. instead the money is spent on more irrelevant training that’s forgotten in five minutes and more jobs for the boys instead of trying to look after the actual workers who are doing the graft.
I’ve competed against Arb approved contractors and it left me in amazement that they could put a man out on a 200 mile round trip with all his gear out for £120 that’s what’s devaluating our industry every big firm cutting each other’s throat for the scraps.

Done the same and possibly the same company, how can they travel an hour to do a job 5 min from me for less than I'd have paid in wages to my staff.
  • Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 17:13, Mark Wileman said:

One of the largest tree companies here in West Wales was paying a lead climber £8 an hour PAYE last year. I've been laughed at for quoting £130 a day to a company an hours drive away with sporadic work. 

Lts or Tw's?! ?