High-end rain jacket

Mark Bolam

Dan that is exactly the kind of thing would probably be great at first but 2 years later would be another £130 down the shitter.

My Ridgeline smock is probably about 5 years old. I doubt it was a snide, I bought it from a pukka gun shop.

It was 100% waterproof when new, it’s down to light showerproof now.

The test is to do very little in lashing rain with the hood up.

If your t-shirt is wet your jacket isn’t waterproof.

OMM is the brand worn by fell runners don't have one so dunno how good though.......

& this is got a good review:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/jackets/endura-mt500-ii-jacket

I have an old ex army goretex & its rubbish and cheap lidl one also rubbish.

Only water proof one I have, is zero breathable heavy farmers supply bibs & jacket

45 minutes ago, woody paul said:

5 years old what do you want that's a cheap coat spread over that many years.

That was exactly my thoughts, esp with the more budget brands.

But even the top end ur lucky to get much more than that geninely waterproof.

Being out on a shoot in real stinking weather u can always compare notes/wet patches at lunch time to see wot is the best/driest.

But i've really yet to see a brand that has 100% waterproof and satisfaction amongst owners.

Know some keepers with some parmo stuff, but more just like a rain jacket and seen them just as wet as the rest of us too (althou mibee using it wrong as still shirted up below so might be sweat??)

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

5 years old what do you want that's a cheap coat spread over that many years.

I get that Paul.

The whole point of the thread is can anyone recommend something that will keep me dry for say 10 years at £500?

I hate shopping.

The RL was only really waterproof for about 2 of the 5 years.

Re-read the thread title.

I will hazard at a guess that whatever you buy will need reproofing/ specific washing/cleaning or treatment at some point to keep it waterproof. I Bet 100% the above gets missed out hence why a very good and expensive jacket is doomed to the its a a  POS pile.

Ive used a few of the Helly Hansen jackets, very thin, light and are waterproof. They do loose that  waterproofness but they are usually minging by then.

Has any fcker mentioned that real men dont get rusty yet? Sniff.

I’ve a Nørrana jacket, Norwegian and Norwegians know a thing or two about rain! Can’t remember the model, will check later. used it for skiing, beach walks in winter storms, snow storms and never let me down.

retail was about £600 about 6 years ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had my Rab latock jacket for 9yrs now and the leggings for 7. The jacket is a single skin so just need to layer up probably but I find really cold or really wet weather a decent baselayer is key. Use mine for mainly dog walks which is always twice a day and been great over Dartmoor also. Being a single skin it rolls up nice into a rucksack if your out and about. I probably waterproof it 2-3 time a year, but will generally wear a cap in really bad rain just to stop driving rain getting in. I personally couldn’t recommend it enough from my own experience. Or check out Ray Mears website most of his stuff is Norwegian.