Failure of oil pumps

Acerforestry

1 hour ago, Acerforestry said:

I think I'm going to try repeated flush through with petrol or similar, nothing to lose as these are 50 odd quid to replace too

Maybe carb cleaner will do a better job?

I've used vege oil since 1990  largely without problems but it does dry (in the same way oil paints dry, from oxidation) so if the saws are going to be stored always best to empty oil tank and run some thin mineral oil through. Vege oil also cakes on fins which potentially becomes a cooling issue.

• Like 1

I've just used regular generic veg, not specifically rapeseed - though it is useful to know that apparently doesn't cause the problems. I like the idea of thinning with a little diesel in cooler conditions, that certainly makes sense. the Tanaka pumps visually look like pretty simple worm gear arrangements, it is difficult to figure quite how they are going wrong other than blockages

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Re inviroment friendly : If you are going to thin veg oil with diesel you might as well go back to proper chain oil .

Unless you are just using supermarket oil because you are tight and not being environmental:D

12 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

I've just used regular generic veg, not specifically rapeseed - though it is useful to know that apparently doesn't cause the problems. I like the idea of thinning with a little diesel in cooler conditions, that certainly makes sense. the Tanaka pumps visually look like pretty simple worm gear arrangements, it is difficult to figure quite how they are going wrong other than blockages

If our chip pan is anything to go by ordinary veg oil of any kind plus a bit of heat will turn it into a rubbery substance which is impenetrable to most forms of solvent known to man and can only be removed by scraping with a sharp metal implement

4 hours ago, peatff said:

Unless you are just using supermarket oil because you are tight and not being environmental:D

If our chip pan is anything to go by ordinary veg oil of any kind plus a bit of heat will turn it into a rubbery substance which is impenetrable to most forms of solvent known to man and can only be removed by scraping with a sharp metal implement

Not the case if my old Hilux is anything to go by, its run just fine for two years on the stuff mixed with derv...and the prior trucks the same; I'm afraid that's just not always accurate. Yes I am frugal, and with regular chain oil 40 quid plus per 25 litres, veg oil around 1.10 per litre, plus a minimal squirt of some kind of thinner of whatever origin. If that ultimately causes the death of a pump, I guess I'll accept the cost occasionally, but I reckon a solvent will clean it out

Edited by Acerforestry
spelling

25 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Not the case if my old Hilux is anything to go by, its run just fine for two years on the stuff mixed with derv...and the prior trucks the same; I'm afraid that's just not always accurate. Yes I am frugal, and with regular chain oil 40 quid plus per 25 litres, veg oil around 1.10 per litre, plus a minimal squirt of some kind of thinner of whatever origin. If that ultimately causes the death of a pump, I guess I'll accept the cost occasionally, but I reckon a solvent will clean it out

So you're saving about £15 per 25l, but you're having to replace oil pumps at £50 a pop. 

Seems false economy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

So you're saving about £15 per 25l, but you're having to replace oil pumps at £50 a pop. 

Seems false economy

Been there over 10 yrs ago, replaced two 200t oil pumps and now use rye oils, lesson learned

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

The amount of oil I use is not worth making the savings on as the saws I use are not run often enough and I'd rather not have the inconvenience of having to strip and rebuild when it does fail. 5 litres lasts me a year and I've never had pump problems using cheap mineral oil.