General shortage?

Old Mill Tree Care

Sadly. Have noticed all the above-do not envy young starters in this craft now. But time the bigger companies shaped up n gave lads a proper go. Flip side is -a lot of wanna bees giving it large, then dissapointing performance. K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Cos it's Monday Mr Stubby, I will let that horrific pun go by, but yr on yr final warning :P k

Phew ! Thanks Khriss , Nice one bud .

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1

Re the building labourers on 150 a day - as I've mused before, construction is a totally different sector. For one thing it's massive by comparison to arb, with a magnitude more people to draw from. There are certainly plenty of guys kicked off building sites every day for being not good enough, and always more queing up to have a go, so the 150 pound guys have probably won't their wage by being the best out of a big pool of workers. There are also no-hopers waiting outside petrol stations in the rain at five in the morning, looking forward to earning 50 pound for a grueling ten hour day on some godforsaken dangerous site somewhere...like football, it's so huge there will be some who are good/lucky enough to earn big bucks, whereas in a niech sport like darts or polo, not as much money to be made even at the top. That, and construction is aspirational, investment based, and generally financed, so people will spend, while arb is generally remedial and a burdensome expense for most customers, like having a tooth out. I second Jamallio's ethic - it's a quality of life thing. I loath building sites. Don't mind small renovation jobs, shed construction, alterations etc, but full on deadline builds? No thanks. Part of the reason big sites can make use of low quality labour as well is the organisation - it's basically factory assembly, so you can train a guy up to do one thing well, and he will be productive as part of a big team, provided the management is on point. Arb is fluid and analytical in nature, requiring independent thinking and self motivation from everyone involved, it's like a special forces commando squad as opposed to a cavalry batallion. 

• Like 2

problem is everyone is busy at the moment, thats goint o change when the next housing pop happens. It's 100% going to happen just a matter of when.

Benefits are too much as well, slags dropping sprogs get the lot and usually have a dope head scumbag in tow doing the same.

5 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I read as average about £750 week? So £20/hr approx 

You wouldn't get a brickie for £20/hour around here (East Anglia) at the moment.

Lack of skilled tradesmen is what's driving Labour costs up imo. I had an electrician/electronics bloke on a job last Friday £400/day. His attitude (rightly imo) was, if you don't pay it someone else will.

On that same job the client showed me some paper work for the original installation which was in 1993, labour then was £50/hour.

• Like 1