Stump grinder, a worth while investment?

Treelife90

Every tree removal qiote I do normally has 'Option stump grinding'
The uptake on these is quite high, more than half for sure and the more urban the client the higher my chance of winning the stump.
 I'd need to make a detailed study of one years quotes 'v' invoices to be sure of figures.
After the debacle with 'Lemon Plant' and the dodgy Carlton 4012 (cuts out randomly up to 6 times an hour at times) I'm going back to a wee grinder for a while.
 Watch this space...
      Stuart

Did you find out what was the issue ?
I went through the same problem. I replaced all the fuel hoses and fittings thinking air leak but no luck. I’ve just ordered a new solenoid

There are so many variables that it is impossible to say where the main fault lies.

Replacing all the toggle switches helped.

The red kill button on the remote which is used in the starting process is a item of rapid wear.

Solenoid on the engine itself.

Though I firmly believe that the fault lies within the circuits of the remote control system and only by replacing the entire radio control will the fault go away.

Happily, with my company now handed from administrator to liquidator, the burden of this grinder will shortly be auctioned off to some unsuspecting Frenchman.

Stuart

Hi just joined arbtalk having been part of the silent audience...I have had my own business for a couple of years now, Trees and Fencing.
I purchased a brand new FSI B20 stump grinder in January this year... fantastic machine with the turntable and very capable. Get fair bit of work from trees I have taken out, existing stumps on people's gardens and getting a few from others in the trade. At 5300 quid Inc. Vat ( think prices gone up now) a sensible investment if you ask me. Will last at LEAST ten years if maintained properly. Good money too. Cheers

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DanBous said:

Hi just joined arbtalk having been part of the silent audience...I have had my own business for a couple of years now, Trees and Fencing.
I purchased a brand new FSI B20 stump grinder in January this year... fantastic machine with the turntable and very capable. Get fair bit of work from trees I have taken out, existing stumps on people's gardens and getting a few from others in the trade. At 5300 quid Inc. Vat ( think prices gone up now) a sensible investment if you ask me. Will last at LEAST ten years if maintained properly. Good money too. Cheers

I've used the FSI a fair bit also.  Its a fantastic machine for its size.  Effortless if the teeth are sharp

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

I've used the FSI a fair bit also.  Its a fantastic machine for its size.  Effortless if the teeth are sharp

After having a terrible demo over here in France from which I went away with a very negative opinion of this machine, I then found a place with one to rent with fresh green teeth too.

So without the stress of a dealer huffing and puffing, pissed off I'm grinding something larger than a pencil stub thus delaying him for his 4 course lunch with wine, I ground out 7 decent birch stumps in a time that totally surprised me. I used just under a tank of fuel and the teeth hardly touched. 

So last week I ordered one from Spectrum Plant.

I'm honestly looking forward to making money with it.

Stuart

• Like 1

Out of interest how have you got on with Spectrum in terms of communication?  I know someone who was interested in one of these machines but has given up on both them and the dealer as neither of them would get back to him - not so much as a phone call.  And he tried several times.